+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I rip tv shows? What do I need to have on my computer? John
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy the dvd/blu-ray tv disc from a store and use dvdfab to rip the discs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is source ?

Discs = dvdfab
    Online web rip = may have some complications as it can change at a moments notice and break applications ability to capture streams.
    Free to air = dvb topset box with recording function to usb flash drive
    Sat / cable = capture card, dvd recorder ... thou encrypted channels may prove problematic.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I rip directly from tv?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    You can't. There's no way to rip shows directly off TV. Pardon for being to the point, but the reason people will tell you this is because you have no idea what "rip" means. So maybe you should start with an official definition of what it means to "rip" video: https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Rip . Really. People are getting annoyed with such frequent "bad language" in video forums.

Now, maybe you can give us some information about your setup. What kind of TV source do you have? Antenna? HD cable? DirectTV? Retail discs? I see you have a laptop for a computer, so you're making things pretty tough for yourself from the very start.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    Can I rip directly from tv?
    The term you're looking for is "capture" directly from tv. And the answer is probably...depends on what type of tv service you have, and what type of equipment you are willing to invest in.

If you want detailed answers, you really should provide extremely detailed information regarding your current equipment, your tv service, the shows you want to record, etc.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by LMotlow, but essentially the same message.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can copy shows from your tv if it has a video composite out connection and you have a capture card or dvd recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wdtv live, dvdfab,laptop, DVD external burner and tv has composite jacks also my vcr/dvd player does also
    John
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    Wdtv live, dvdfab,laptop, DVD external burner and tv has composite jacks also my vcr/dvd player does also
    John
    Is the TV connected to anything other than the VCR/DVD player, the WDTV live, and possibly your laptop? Is the TV perhaps connected to an antenna via a coax cable, or to a satellite receiver, or to a cable box of some kind?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question 1 directv
    Question 2 tv is hooked to wdtv live and vcr/dvd combo
    Question 3 WDTV Live is hooked to the tv thru HDMI jacks and composite jack.
    John
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Taking quite a while for the next shoe to drop.

Your DVD/VHS combo user guide shows you how to connect the unit to record programs from your direct-tv box.
    You can't record directly from your TV set.
    You have to tune the stations you want to record by using your direct-tv box and remote. You can't set the channel on your DVD/VCR combo.
    You cannot record high definition. Standard definition only.
    If your DVD recorder has a hard drive, you can record tv shows to the hard drive. If some of the broadcasts are copy-protected you will not be able to burn those particular recordings to disc.
    If your DVD recorder has no hard drive, you must record to blank DVD disc. If a tv channel is not copy-protected, you can record standard definition to the blank DVD disc. If the tv show is copy protected, your DVD recorder will probably refuse to record it to a blank disc.
    We don 't know what model of DVD/VCR combo you have, but we are certain that you have the user manual.

If this makes absolutely no sense to you, call your cable provider. The easiest thing to do is to rent their DVR. If your direct-tv box doesn't have analog outputs that match your DVD recorder's analog inputs, you will definitely need the cable company's DVR.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JVC HR-XVC26U DVD/VCR COMBO. No users manual.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    JVC HR-XVC26U DVD/VCR COMBO. No users manual.
    Fortunately, manuals are ubiquitous online. Start at JVC's site. That unit only records VHS.
    Last edited by smrpix; 28th Jul 2014 at 19:50.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would never buy a dvd recorder/vcr combo,they are built cheaply and if there's any macrovision then you can't record it since you can't put a tbc in line.A dvd/vcr combo is useless.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I record it to the vcr then pipe it thru the wdtv box? John
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!