VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have all been GREAT in the past and I am all set with DVD...but this newfangled MP3/MP4 stuff has me at my wits end. Have a holiday gift for my wife (Sony MP3 player) that allows video in MP4 formats encoded in H.264/AVC and AAC.

I have a bunch of home movies in .avi and .mpg format. They didn't provide a conversion tool and I downloded a couple but still get an error message on the format.

Anyone know of a specific tool that will conver to this type of MP4?

THANKS!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Try WinFF and use the *iPod Linux* presets (they are good for general H.264 use as well) The only thing to check out is the resolutions the device supports, the iPod presets are set for 640xXXX depending on the aspect ratio of your source, but you can easily enter your own resolutions if needed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No luck Can't figure t his out! You think they'd provide conversion software UGH!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Again,
    No luck with WinFF? That's weird, are these files to be converted some standard format like DVD,VCD,DivX? A lot of people like SUPER, I'm no a big fan of it's heavy footprint on the system and it doesn't always play nice with other applications, but it seems to be a decent "Swiss Army Knife" encoder. If you could give us a bit more info on what your source files are, and what specs SONY has for the converted files it'd help narrow things down.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is what I know. My source files are usually MPEG-1/2 or AVI...home movies mostly

The sony manual says :

VIDEO AVC(H.264/AVC) Baselie Profile Bit rate max=768
    MPEG-4 Simple profile, bit rate max 2500 KBPS

Frame rate max 30fps
    Resolution max QVGA 320x240

Does that help?

THANKS for taking the time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK,
    The specs you're saying are like the old iPod specs, the ones in WinFF are for newer iPods so that's why they won't work. So in WinFF you'll have to make a custom preset, or try SUPER and enter the specs in when you set up your conversion. Another great choice is Nero Recode, it's not free but I think there is a 30 day free trial and it will enable you to go direct from DVD to your final file. It's fairly intuitive and gives good quality results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote