VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a large number of digital photos to be backed up onto a DVD disc. Can the double layer DVD and blu ray DVD hold Jpeg photos? If so, what software can copy the photos onto the double layer DVD and Blu-ray DVD? Thank you for your answer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by coody View Post
    Can the double layer DVD and blu ray DVD hold Jpeg photos?
    Yes

Originally Posted by coody View Post
    If so, what software can copy the photos onto the double layer DVD and Blu-ray DVD?
    Any version of windows that can see the burner can do it without extra software. (But imgburn is best. )

Also, you may want to rethink using dual layer -- especially in this situation. It is less reliable and more expensive than single layer
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh my.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Blu ray DVD"?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    "Blu ray DVD"?
    I'm guessing it's an updated variation on calling EVERY disc that exists a "CD" and he really means a BluRay disc.

coody - If you're going to use DL discs then we recommend ONLY Verbatim (avoid their Life series, but everything else they make is fine) or Taiyo Yuden (very hard to find in DL format thought and quite expensive). I could not be more serious when I tell you that if you use any DL discs other than exactly what I told you to use, you need to be prepared for the discs to fail and your photos to be lost in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Oh my.
    LMAO!!

That has to be one of the all time most ridiculous questions I have ever seen!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. School-of-hard-knocks, lessons-learned-the-hard-way department:

o NEVER make just one archive copy of anything that would make you sick if the disc failed. Even Taiyo Yuden can make a bad disc once in awhile.

o Make MULTIPLE backups and consider using discs made from different manufacturers (brand names mean little or nothing). For critical files and photos, I'd start with at least one Taiyo Yuden disc, maybe use another TY from another stack, then maybe another mfr's disc as a last-ditch archive.

o Consider the price differences between SL and DL discs. If, as is often cited, DL discs tend to be less reliable than SLs, why would you want to spend more for one DL disc than for 2 or more SL discs?

o Storage: Even using the thin plastic storage cases, they will hold two discs securely, regardless of SL or DL.

Good luck! And, in the spirit of "VideoHELP," please let us know what works for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Oh my.
    LMAO!!

That has to be one of the all time most ridiculous questions I have ever seen!!
    Not for Coody it's not. This one won't even make it on the Greatest Hits LP.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    o Make MULTIPLE backups and consider using discs made from different manufacturers (brand names mean little or nothing). For critical files and photos, I'd start with at least one Taiyo Yuden disc, maybe use another TY from another stack, then maybe another mfr's disc as a last-ditch archive.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that one. Yes, always use quality discs (I only ever use Verbatin SL DVDs with the Azo dye), and always make more than one copy, but I think using discs from more than one stack would be fairly pointless. The "bad batch" thing is probably a bit of a myth, at least in respect to the user being able to compare one spindle of discs to another. http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-media-concepts.htm

Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    o Consider the price differences between SL and DL discs. If, as is often cited, DL discs tend to be less reliable than SLs, why would you want to spend more for one DL disc than for 2 or more SL discs?
    I'd agree. Use single layer discs. The burn quality is likely to be better and they're cheaper.

Nobody has mentioned not using stick-on DVD labels, which tends to be a bad idea. Buying a CD/DVD marking pen instead is probably a better idea.

coody,
    photos are just files. Discs can be used to store any type of file. Pretty much any burning program can burn a "data disc".
    Quote Quote  
  10. From hello_hello: I think using discs from more than one stack would be fairly pointless. The "bad batch" thing is probably a bit of a myth, at least in respect to the user being able to compare one spindle of discs to another.
    As I mentioned in my original response, my suggestions were based on "School-of-hard-knocks, lessons-learned-the-hard-way department."

I discount the "bit of a myth" factor by my own experience. Discs from different stacks, same manufacturer codes: One stack produced zero coasters, the other, quite a few, using the same burner and same files, and alternating stacks.

Even if a "myth," which I tend to doubt, choosing discs from "separate" sources would at least fall under the "couldn't hurt, might help" category.

As always, "your mileage may vary."
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

I'm guessing it's an updated variation on calling EVERY disc that exists a "CD" and he really means a BluRay disc.

My wife...

"The computer is slow!" = translation "The internet is slow."

"Where's the furniture polish? The hard drive is dusty." = translation "The computer case is dusty."

"I'm going out...Let me just turn off the computer" = translation "I will hold the power button down until it shuts off."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The SL DVD can hold about 2000 photos, right? How about the DL DVD, holding 4000 photos?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's like asking how many hours/minutes of a movie will fit on a DVD
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    120 minutes. Everyone knows that. I have a DVD-R right in front of me that says so, so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    120 minutes. Everyone knows that. I have a DVD-R right in front of me that says so, so it must be true.
    Begorrah.

I only got 90 mins on one of mine. Now I feel short-changed. Will have to send the pod back.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Begorrah.

I only got 90 mins on one of mine. Now I feel short-changed. Will have to send the pod back.
    Sure, I must of got lucky! I got 240 minutes on one of my last batch. Lol.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Begorrah.

Sure, I must of got lucky! I got 240 minutes on one of my last batch. Lol.
    Well than I am screwed!!!!!!!
    I have a 50 pack of DL+R's and it does not state any time at all on the disc's or the package!!!
    Guess I will just have to throw them away........

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Coody, I kinda disagree with your whole idea of using optical discs for long term backup these days...

I'm sure you've noticed that the newer tablets and laptops no longer include an optical drive, tho you can still get an external.
    Think about trying to access your discs in ten years time; will you set aside a special drive just for that use? (I've an external floppy drive put away just in case & I used to use HP's Lightscribe discs )

Density of storage is the least of your problems- compatibility with future devices the most important.

You have several other options:

The Cloud- the most likely to weather changing tech, theoretically most convenient. Downside is the loss of privacy.
    Flash Drives & Solid State drives- Convenient, and easy to securely store, such as in fireproof boxes, etc. Downside is USB's newly revealed insecurity may cause unforseen changes, but unlikely to obsolete USB (like the Phillips Cassette).
    Mechanical Hard Drives are the equivalent of hundreds of DVDs at the same or lower cost. Externals may have the same security weaknesses as USB drives, but makers like Seagate have case adaptions to allow USB2, USB3, and whatever more secure USB3+ will look like.

Of all the solutions, dual layer is the worst choice. One lil scratch can lose you twice the data. They can even be damaged by storage conditions. Consumer produced versions can be problematic playing back on a different drive.

Good luck with your archiving, whatever you decide!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Good financial planners always stress "DIVERSIFICATION". Well, it is important in digital archiving also.

Diversify your media types: Optical disc is fine (contrary to what the previous poster said - laptops & desktops with optical disc options aren't going away any time soon), external HDD, Flash/USB also, and Cloud backup is good (although transfer-bandwidth-limited), and then there's always tape.

Diversify your locations (where copies are stored): Onsite, Off-site at friends'/relatives', Off-site at bank vault safe-deposit box

Diverisfy by making MULTIPLE copies: A single copy of a burned disc might be fine if it's in pristine shape, but should it get corrupted, you may have problems. Multiple copies of that SAME burned disc can easily get around any corruption, as it is very unlikely that different copies would be corrupted in EXACTLY the same spot, and you can always use something like ISOBuster's "Managed Copy" recovery function using multiple drives & multiple alternate copies.

I agree with ahhaa that Dual Layer is not the best choice, but it doesn't have to do with "a little scratch". L0 an L1 have different optical properties and a scratch may or may not affect them in the same way, so it is quite possible to have the area immediately under L0 lose data, but not L1. And, as just mentioned, a managed-copy recovery strategy could take care of that anyway. Burned DL is, however, much more expensive and less common, and less reliable when reading, so that should make it a less desirable alternative to SL or any of those other diverse format options.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!