VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm pretty new to this conversion thing. As is the goal of most people, I'd like to transfer the main movie titles from my BD discs to my computer at 1:1 with no loss in video quality. After doing a lot of research, it seems converting the main title to an .mkv file is the way to go. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. I used aiseesoft to convert the main title in home alone to .mkv. When I place the bd disc in the drive and my computer reads it, it shows over 45gb. When I converted the main title to .mkv, the file size was around 15gb. Is this right? In the settings I was sure to pick the highest frame rate and bit rate just to make sure. I picked no subtitles.

2. Can I convert this to mp4 with no loss in quality? If so, with what program and what settings?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMkv will rip it to a MKV with no loss it doesn't re encode. ripbot264 will rip to Mp4 to a smaller size but it does a good job as quality goes.
    maKeMkv will decrypt but with ripbot264 you will need a decrypler like AnyDvd or something.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by n8tvm View Post
    MakeMkv will rip it to a MKV with no loss it doesn't re encode. ripbot264 will rip to Mp4 to a smaller size but it does a good job as quality goes.
    maKeMkv will decrypt but with ripbot264 you will need a decrypler like AnyDvd or something.
    Is there any difference between the mkv file produced by makemkv and the one produced by aiseesoft? I kind of like the interface better in aiseesoft
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't Know I have never tried aiseesoft.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think if you're main concern is converting to MKV, then MakeMkv is a good option since they specialize on that. Their support also looks good. Plus they have a version compatible with Linux.
    Quote Quote