VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.
    I have a question:
    I have an mkv and a sub/idx file.
    I want to burn that in a DVDR, but it doesn't fit (it's 1 MB larger).

So, is there any way I could reduce the file size of the sub/idx?
    I don't want to convert to srt. In fact the mkv has already a srt in it, but the original subtitles have different positions relatively to the film (meaning others are on the right, others on the left) and I want to keep that.
    I thought maybe I could erase the hearing impaired subtitles from the sub/idx but can't do that.
    DVDsub edit can't do it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Cut 1 MB off the end of the video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Cut 1 MB off the end of the video?
    Thanks, I did that (used mkvmerge and cut 3 MBs) but the resulting file has the exact same duration with the original.
    Shouldn't it cut at least 1 second or so?

Although, now the new mkv + sub/idx fit in a DVD5.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Compress the sub file with winrar so the you get idx/rar instead of idx/sub. Most players will be able to use the sub file inside the rar.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a MediaInfo report of the file - tree text mode? Always helps finding a possibly solution.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Compress the sub file with winrar so the you get idx/rar instead of idx/sub. Most players will be able to use the sub file inside the rar.
    I doubt that,lots of blu-ray players will only play srt subs that aren't rared or zipped plus other will only plays srt imbedded in the video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Oh, i feel stupid that i didn't think of that.
    I play mkvs in my pc, and yes, whenever there are subs in a rar file, the mkv plays them.
    Anyway, now i've deleted the original file and kept the cut one.
    Although from what it seems it hasn't cut anything at all (in seconds I mean)..

When i tested it by cutting 10MBs it did cut 5 seconds from the end of the video.
    But when i cut the 3 MBs as i told above, it didn't cut any second (although it was reduced in filesize)
    Quote Quote