VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off, are Blu Ray discs NTSC and PAL or do they play in all Blu Ray players?

My dilemma is...I have a Blu Ray sized HD home video that I want to send overseas and I want to create a Blu Ray disc with menus but I'm not sure this footage will play on the Blu Ray player that I'll be sending it to. I was told the BR player model is the Panasonic DMR-BWT835. They mentioned in the instructions it said it was region 2 but the dvd portion of the player was region 4(all). I'm guessin all means it could be region set to play all. I have compiled the m2ts files with tsmuxer and they're ready to go through multiavchd and create menus but I wanna wait and see if I have to use multiavchd to create a PAL BR if its necessary This footage comes from a sony hd camcorder that is NTSC. This homemade BR won't be region coded so I'm not worried about the region but I am wondering if this disc will play as is or I'll have to reconvert it to PAL

I also was wondering about the playback of NTSC dvd stuff with this player. I ask because I'm goiung to be converting this footage down and putting it on 3 dvd's and sending it also as backup. But again, I wanna wait and see if this player will play NTSC discs. There's just not enough info on this player to get me the answers I need

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It should be able to play ntsc if the disc is region free as a lot of players in Europe are design to accept ntsc,maybe someone on the forum here has more knowledge about the model in question.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most new TV's as well as Blu Ray players handle NTSC as well as PAL in PAL land.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for your responses

I thought creating working menus for the BR disc would be the hard part but I figured it out by trial and error in multiavchd but I didn't think the hardware would be my issue...I have a media player I play these files with so compatibility isn't an issue for me but not everyone has one. I don't have a BR player myself. I'm gonna plow ahead and create these discs as-is cause I really don't want to cross convert these files to PAL. I've had experience with it before and it never comes out that good. I just don't wanna do these and a week later when it arrives I get an email that says..."why is the picture black and white?" lol...I may just do them both ways and not worry about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you can make the video 24 fps then it should be perfect for your recipient, but if you have to use 29.97 fps then I'd say just make it with that frame rate and as others have pointed out, it will most likely work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Practically all analog TVs built after 1999 and all digital TVs in Europe handle NTSC and "PAL60" which is a mix of NTSC and PAL.
    All DVD players handle NTSC and PAL because Japan is a region 2 country and they are NTSC whereas the rest of the region is PAL.

I would not worry about the framerate or converting the picture size. Just about any AVCHD capable Blu-Ray player should be able to handle it over here. Worst case scenario is they have to use computer over here to convert it.

Ask them what players and TVs they have and then you will know for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I've successfully created a BR disc with working menus with multiavchd...it took a few passes but it works fine now...does this BR folder/disc I've created have a region already set by multiavchd? or is it set to 0..or 1 or 2 or 3?

I'm gonna try the changing fps with tsmuxer next to have as a backup also...I tried it the other day and a few of the muxed m2ts files errored out in it saying it was out of sync...but I'll wait and see what the regions are on these created hd/br files
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's region free.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote