VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a large DVD collection that I would like to convert to mkv. I was using Handbrake for this initially, but I have recently switched to VidCoder, and the process has become much simpler.

The problem I am having is that each conversion requires me to open each individually ripped file to determine what it is, and finally rename it accordingly. For example, I might have TITLE.mkv, TITLE-1.mkv, TITLE-2.mkv which I would rename to Terminator.mkv, TheatricalTrailer.mkv and DeletedScenes.mkv. Obviously this is a time consuming process, and with the number of DVDs I have, I'd have to quit my day job.

When I rip my CDs via Exact Audio Copy, I am able to use freedb to automatically rename everything. The software is able to identify the CD, query freedb for a match and process the results.

Does anything like that exact for DVD and Blu-ray?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If only.....

And the CD database only exists since there is a unique ID for the disk and people are prepared to provide the info.

But.....

Surely, you have ample opportunity to create a proper title in the destination field before you do the actual conversion ??????
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    There isn't a program to do what you want, as far as I am aware, but there is an interesting program that repackages Blu-ray to mkv without compression and collects info on the movie for you. It is called BD Hero.

Available for free at bdhero.org. No built-in decryption though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Added bdhero to our software list. Even though it failed directly with one of my blu-rays....

Worked better with Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	801
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	24073
    Last edited by Baldrick; 13th Mar 2014 at 04:17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    If only.....

And the CD database only exists since there is a unique ID for the disk and people are prepared to provide the info.

But.....

Surely, you have ample opportunity to create a proper title in the destination field before you do the actual conversion ??????
    I was really hoping that a database existed by now, but I didn't think it did as I've never heard of one. Oh well.

I do have time before the conversion, however given the number of DVDs I have (hundreds? a thousand? not sure, but it spans 15+ years of collecting), I really don't want to waste so much time having to preview and figure out what each title is. That's why I love VidCoder. Other than the naming thing, everything is basically 1 click and I'm done

Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    There isn't a program to do what you want, as far as I am aware, but there is an interesting program that repackages Blu-ray to mkv without compression and collects info on the movie for you. It is called BD Hero.

Available for free at bdhero.org. No built-in decryption though.
    MakeMKV is also able to repackage DVD and Blu-ray to MKV without compression, however that doesn't solve the problem of how much disk space the results will occupy. For that reason, I need to compress each of the MKVs.

BD Hero is interesting because it uses a database I've never heard of called ChapterDB. While it doesn't identify titles, it supposedly can identify chapters using the ChapterGrabber software and save them in a text file. I assume I can then import them into VidCoder and at the very least, have chapter names
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have a solution for you. I found this program, and tried it. I used it to rename my Hogans Heroes Collection from dvd.

FileBot makes organizing your movies and TV shows a breeze! We'll automatically match your files with information from various online databases. How you want your media files to be named and organized is completely up to you. Our groovy format engine supports pretty much anything!

http://www.filebot.net/

Here is a how to video also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSFKiwFLZw&list=PLAeKsKcI7rapWVLl-Oy4wx_-5RoMclWPt

I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote