VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've just joined this site and am looking to sort this problem ASAP

I'm trying to make a short film which was filmed using a friend's digital photo camera, also capable of taking five min long movies. they are in .mov format and all was going well. I had done most of the editing, using Adobe Premier Pro 2.0, when my computer crashed and would not boot to the os on the hard disk, i'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I managed to boot to a version of Damn Small Linux and using a USB flash drive managed to get all of the files off my hard disk and copied on to my flatmate's PC. I have since wiped the HD and reinstalled the same version of windows.

After copying the .mov files and the Premier Pro files back to my own machine I installed Premier again to find that some of the .mov files showed up as offline. I thought they might simply be in the wrong place but they were not. when I tried to open them outside of Premier QuickTime gave me this error message:

"Error -2048: the file is not a movie file"

This confused me somewhat since all of the .mov files are from the same source and most of them play fine. I have tried every media player I have and a couple of new ones i have downloaded. Windows Media Player told me:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

VLC player just does nothing when attempting to open the file, as does J. River Media Centre. MPlayer, downloaded from www.mplayerhq.hu also does nothing when using the GUI version, however when using the comand line version I have come across the following message:

"Playing C:/Downloads/Films/Not working/bank - call to g sitting.MOV.
    MOV: missing header (moov/cmov) chunk! Maybe broken file...
    MOV: missing header (moov/cmov) chunk! Maybe broken file...
    libavformat file format detected
    LAVF: no audio or video headers found - broken file?

Exiting... (End of file)
    "

This is not a codec problem since the other files from the same source play in all of the above mentioned media players.

My guess is that somewhere in the move from my computer to my flatmate's machine the files have become corrupted(the same messages appear when trying to play the files on the other computer) so really I am looking for someone who may know how to recover the video from corrupted files. Is there any way to repair the video and audio headers of a .mov file? i have looked around the net but with no luck. Some of the corrupted files i had backed up on a disc and so they are not a problem(they were also the same size as the corrupted ones to a kb, leading me to think the info is still there, just difficult to get at) unfortunately, due to a mix of stupidity and laziness i still have 9 files which i cannot use. refilming the scene is not realy an option since of the two people in the shots, one is now in Vancouver, Canada and the other is in Glastonbury, England, while I am in Glasgow, Scotland. Getting these working is incredibly important to me since without them one of the pivotal scenes in this film will not exist and i will be unable to complete the film.

Anyone that can give me any advice or any sort of help would hold me forever in their debt.

Please HELP!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the files are definetly corrupted. There is no way to salvage them, especially when they are not recognized to be opened.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See if this app can open the .MOV file(s). At least you'll possibly be able to see where the corruption occurs. The part that made my heart sink was "I have since wiped the HD and reinstalled the same version of windows."

http://tsviatko.jongov.com/index_prj_quicktimeviewer.htm

Btw, the author of that app is around and active. Email him if you get desperate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks soopa, i got that program but all of the code means nothing to me but'll email the programmer, he might be able to give some info, hopefully.
    Quote Quote