VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! I'm Hambert from Argentina, I call myself a video enthusiast and I recently bought a Panasonic HC-v750 that shoots AVCHD 2.0 Progressive 1080 at 60p. I was trying to render some edits in Vegas Pro 13 using Sony AVC codec, and wanted to use Intel QSV as it improves the render times a lot.

The problem is that Sony AVC seems to be WAY too buggy when working with IQSV on. My situation is as follows:

1- Using "Internet 1080 30p" template as base, changed FPS to 60 and selected QSV in "quality" mode:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sett_2_art.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	33222

Result: Video renders in half the time as expected but final file is corrupted showing artifacts and almost 1fps playback:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Render60p_artifacts.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	33223

2- Using same settings but QSV in "Speed" mode gives this error:

Name:  qsv60pspeed_error.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  16.6 KB

Extra info: If I use the "Internet 1080 30p" template but only changing to QSV (leaving the 30p alone, not what I want), Quality mode once again corrupts the final file, but Speed mode works OK (final file OK). Using other input file (like a 1080p AVC 30fps clip from my phone) gives similar results, so the problem is not the input file.

So, my goal is to render AVC, either in an MP4 container or M2TS (AVCHD), at 60fps using QSV to improve the render time (I really need it). żDo you know any way around this?

My system is an HP Envy 4 Ultrabook
    Intel Core i5 3317u 2.6Ghz 3rd gen + HD Graphics 4000
    6GB DDRRAM
    Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD drive
    Windows 10
    Latest Intel HD Graphics Drivers

Thanks in advance!! Great to be here!
    Last edited by Hambert; 19th Aug 2015 at 09:43.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Even though your computer has good specs, it doesn't have a dedicated GPU so maybe that is the bottleneck. Try to use the proxy feature in Vegas and see if that helps. But I don't think it will. Have you tried with the quick sync disabled? Longer render time but may produce better results.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Even though your computer has good specs, it doesn't have a dedicated GPU so maybe that is the bottleneck. Try to use the proxy feature in Vegas and see if that helps. But I don't think it will. Have you tried with the quick sync disabled? Longer render time but may produce better results.
    Many thanks for the reply.

I don't understand what you mean with not having a dedicated GPU, isn't QSV using only the integrated HD Graphics 4000 chip inside the processor package? Or does it require an extra GPU to achieve full performance?

Encoding with QSV off (with "GPU use if available" or "CPU use only" options) gives no problems at all, final file is great even at the highest bitrates, but encoding time is around 6 minutes for that one and a half minutes long AVCHD file i'm testing with.

With QSV on I get times around 3:20 minutes, nearly half the time, that's why i'm trying to make it work. I'm just trying to squeeze the most out of the hardware.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have always thought a dedicated GPU was a separate GPU board. Motherboard GPU may not be up to the job of rendering 1080 at 60p. Your clue is your statement that "CPU use only" (CPU rendering only) works but takes longer. I would stick with CPU only and lower the bitrate somewhat when rendering and see if that renders somewhat faster but it may be lower quality. There are many posts on the Vegas forums with exactly your problem. Most of the fixes are to use CPU only.

On really long videos just let it render all night long while you are sleeping.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote