VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Name:  usb-live2_connectors_small.jpg
Views: 3110
Size:  15.5 KB
    This device is supposedly able to work in both NTSC and PAL environments but from what I've been told by Hauppauge, it's abilities are determined by the installation of the accompanying WinTV software. I'm in a PAL country so naturally I chose "PAL" when I installed the software but I also have an NTSC VCR and want to capture both.
    I have never used WinTV to capture with this device. My main capture software is Magix Movie Edit. I have tried to change the settings in Magix to NTSC but the setting either never "stick" or are "not available with this device".
    Can anyone think of a way to get this thing to capture both PAL and NTSC? I've even considered installing WinTV again as NTSC in some sort of "SandBox" type of deal but even my feeble computer knowledge tells me that is a bad idea. I've Google searched for the answer but I believe my terminology is completely wrong.

Here is the Hauppauge answer to my question:
    Hello,

During the software installation for the usb live 2 you will be asked if you want to use NTSC or PAL, you can choose one of them and the wintv7 program will be stuck on that mode and so if you want to use the other format you will need to uninstall then reinstall the program and select the format you wish to use.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    One thing I can think of is that you can set up a virtual machine running some version of Windows you have access to, like maybe XP, and you could install WinTV as NTSC there. The virtual machine settings will not in any way conflict or impact the settings on the main server. VMware offers a free VM called VMware Player that you could use. You will need to allocate disk space and memory to the VM out of your main computer's disk space and memory, so keep that in mind. If you are able to install XP to a virtual machine I have never had a copy of XP use more than 768 MB of memory no matter what I did, so you could probably get by with allocating 512 MB to a VM. 768 MB should ensure that no swapping occurs. I would not go over 1 GB of memory for an XP VM for sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course with XP you can instal a dual-boot system with the 2nd boot a minimal version of XP and just the NTSC version of WinTv.

A bit of a PITA as you would have to reboot each time you want to change the capture source.

But there may be another way.

WinTv only works with hauppauge hardware but most hauppuage hardware will work with other capture software. I can not test this thoughouly as I only have a PAL VCR but my Ulead software is capable of changing the capture source from PAL to NTSC and vice-versa but you may have to start playback first for the s/w to accept the new signal.

On a side story, when I first installed my WinTv card, even though I selected a composite input, the program was recording with NTSC parameters. Only when I specifically selected a 'channel' in the setup could I record with PAL parameters. Does this version of the WinTv software have a channel suite? If it does you might like to try and install two channels. One with a channel number and one with just composite or s-vhs/composite source and no channel number. In that way you might be able to fool the software. I would have thought that the PAL/NTSC is more appropiate for OTA recording rather than a direct source VCR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    This device is supposedly able to work in both NTSC and PAL environments but from what I've been told by Hauppauge, it's abilities are determined by the installation of the accompanying WinTV software. I'm in a PAL country so naturally I chose "PAL" when I installed the software but I also have an NTSC VCR and want to capture both.
    I have never used WinTV to capture with this device. My main capture software is Magix Movie Edit. I have tried to change the settings in Magix to NTSC but the setting either never "stick" or are "not available with this device".
    Can anyone think of a way to get this thing to capture both PAL and NTSC? I've even considered installing WinTV again as NTSC in some sort of "SandBox" type of deal but even my feeble computer knowledge tells me that is a bad idea. I've Google searched for the answer but I believe my terminology is completely wrong.

Here is the Hauppauge answer to my question:
    Hello,

During the software installation for the usb live 2 you will be asked if you want to use NTSC or PAL, you can choose one of them and the wintv7 program will be stuck on that mode and so if you want to use the other format you will need to uninstall then reinstall the program and select the format you wish to use.
    Hello hech54,

Try this.

- Download WDM utils from here: AMCAP
    - Extract to any folder.
    - Run WINTV or MAGIX and select your card
    - Run AMCAP, set your card in tabs but never use preview or any filter (like shot below)

Name:  imagem.JPG
Views: 2649
Size:  20.1 KB

- Go to VIDEO, signal module and select NTSC or PAL or any signal desired.

It will change signal in realtime.

In my old 3DFX Voodoo 3 3500 (1999 / 2000) always work. In nowsday my new cards AVER HD, AVER HD PRO, MYGICA work using the oldest, but very functional, method.

Try and reply

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When opening amcap.exe:
    Error 80004002: Cannot find VCapture:IAMStreamConfig
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When opening amcap.exe:
    Error 80004002: Cannot find VCapture:IAMStreamConfig
    Try new AMCAP (9.20 - trial)

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Still nothing. Blank screen in Magix and no NTSC options.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Still nothing. Blank screen in Magix and no NTSC options.
    I go to my home. There will make some tests.

Maybe not work in WINTV or MAGIX. Try VD or VH CAPTURE.

Claudio
    Quote Quote