VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings all,

I help a local astronomy club and we had an idea for a project. We have public nights where we invite the community to come look through our telescopes. Unfortunately, the lines can get long. What I would like to do is give them something to look at or take a picture of using their wifi enabled iPads/Androids/Laptops.

My plan is this:

I have purchased a WinTV-PVR-350 and a Dell workstation to play with. I would like to use this hardware, along with Linux and a DD-WRT powered WiFI AP to make a "mostly" portable broadcast station.

The cameras will output S-Video and composite signals. The WinTV should take care of the capture. ??? should stream the video. The DD-WRT router will be open for all to connect to and hijack all web traffic to point to the apache server on the linux box. The web page will use JWPlayer or FlowPlayer to display the stream.

I am not sure what software component streams the video, and if I can make this efficient by using multicast. The video feed will always be live (when it's on). There is no internet connectivity, this is a closed network. Since the source is S-Video at best, I want to keep as much quality as I can (images can be faint depending on conditions), but this is nothing near HD quality. Storage of the video might be nice to compile a high-light reel at some point. Initially the camera will only be B&W, with color a possibility in the future. There is no audio.

Can anyone make some recommendations or input on what I might have missed? I plan on using Fedora or CentOS because that is what I am most familiar with. I want to keep this first iteration simple so it's just a matter of plugging in the camera and turning on the server/AP. After that, you just connect to the AP and surf.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm.. Pretty quiet in here...

So far I have the capture card working on Fedora 17 and I have been able to stream video using VLC to another PC using the VLC Player. I apparently need to do live transcoding from MPEG2 to H.264 To get something useable for web streaming to mobile browsers.

My web server is working and I have FlowPlayer setup and working with the demo video. It does not work with my stream, I assume due to the format issue.

I may back off a little and just capture some frames and update the web page every few seconds until I can get a handle on the video part.

Further along than I thought I would be anyway...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use vlc and stream to flv with h264. It works fine in flowplayer.

My vlc command line:

Code:
    vlc.exe -vvv -I rc streamfile/capture --sout "#transcode{venc=x264{keyint=50,profile=main},vcodec=x264,vb=800,scale=1,width=704,height=400,acodec=mp4a,ab=96,channels=2,samplerate=48000,deinterlace=1}:std{access=http{mime=video/x-flv},mux=ffmpeg{mux=flv},dst=:8080/stream.flv}"
    And in my flowplayer

Code:
    	<script type="text/javascript">
    	var player = $f("player", {src: "./flowplayer-3.1.2.swf", wmode: "opaque"}, 
    		{
    			onResume: function(clip) {
    			$f('player').play();
    		},
    			canvas: {backgroundColor: '#7790ac'},
    			clip: {
    				url: 'http://yourIPaddress:8080/stream.flv',
    				autoBuffering: true,
    				autoPlay: true, 
    				scaling: 'scale',
    				live: true
    			},
    			plugins: {

controls: {
    			 	  autoHide: 'always',
    			 	  all:false, 
    	        scrubber:false, 
    	        play:true, 
    	        mute:true,
    	        fullscreen:true,
    	        volume:true,
    	        width: '120',  
    	        bottom: '5%', 
    	        left: '10%', 
    	        borderRadius: 4
    		 	 }                                        
    			}
    		}
    );                                     
    </script>
    And if you are behind a router you must port forward 8080 to your streaming computer.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 13th Jan 2013 at 13:17. Reason: Fixed vlc command
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Baldrick, you are most kind.

I tried your streamer command and unfortunately it did not work as written. I am on Linux (CentOS 6.3) so obviously I had to drop the .exe bit. Even after that, though, I got no love.

I was able to successfully transcode and stream from my WinTV-PVR-350 via RTP using this command:

Code:
    cvlc -vvv -V dummy pvr://:norm=ntsc:bitrate=3000000:maxbitrate=4000000  --cr-average 1000 --no-audio --sout '#transcode{venc=x264{keyint=30},vcodec=h264,vb=0, scale=1}:rtp{dst=10.0.1.107,port=5004,mux=ts}' --ttl 12 --intf dummy
    It really beats the crap out of my Q6600 CPU and has frequent video issues. Is there another piece to your flowplayer html, or will that work on an empty page by itself?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This also works:

Code:
    cvlc -vvv -V dummy pvr://:norm=ntsc:bitrate=3000000:maxbitrate=4000000  --cr-average 1000 --no-audio --sout '#transcode{venc=x264{keyint=60,profile=main},vcodec=x264,vb=800, scale=1,width=720,height=480,deinterlace=1}:rtp{dst=10.0.1.107,port=5004,mux=ts}' --ttl 12 --intf dummy
    Which is the exact transcode details you have in your command, but just outputted via RTP. As soon as I change over to your flv output I get:

Code:
    [0x7f0740000b28] main input debug: Creating an input for 'pvr://'
    [0x7f0738001008] main stream output debug: using sout chain=`transcode{venc=x264{keyint=50,profile=main},vcodec=x264,vb=800, scale=1,width=720,height=480,deinterlace=1}:dst=std{access=http{mime=video/x-flv},mux=ffmpeg{mux=flv},dst=:8080/stream.flv}'
    [0x7f0738001008] main stream output debug: stream=`dst=std'
    [0x7f0738001798] main stream out debug: looking for sout stream module: 0 candidates
    [0x7f0738001798] main stream out debug: no sout stream module matched "dst=std"
    [0x7f0738001798] main stream out debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.057 ms - Total 0.057 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.057 ms)
    [0x7f0738001798] main stream out debug: destroying chain... (name=(null))
    [0x7f0738001798] main stream out debug: destroying chain done
    [0x7f0738001008] main stream output error: stream chain failed for `transcode{venc=x264{keyint=50,profile=main},vcodec=x264,vb=800, scale=1,width=720,height=480,deinterlace=1}:dst=std{access=http{mime=video/x-flv},mux=ffmpeg{mux=flv},dst=:8080/stream.flv}'
    [0x7f0740000b28] main input error: cannot start stream output instance, aborting
    [0x1a328d8] main playlist debug: finished input
    [0x1a328d8] main playlist debug: dead input
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I took out the ":dst=std" and just made it ":std" and now it seems to be running at least!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Which vlc version?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [0x1960138] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - 2.0.5 Twoflower
    [0x1960138] main libvlc debug: Copyright © 1996-2012 VLC authors and VideoLAN
    [0x1960138] main libvlc debug: revision 2.0.5-0-g1661b7d
    [0x1960138] main libvlc debug: configured with ./configure '--build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu' '--host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu' '--target=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--disable-rpath' '--with-binary-version=2.0.5-6.el6' '--with-pic' '--with-tuning=no' '--enable-run-as-root' '--enable-growl' '--enable-live555' '--enable-sftp' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-wma-fixed' '--enable-shine' '--enable-omxil' '--enable-switcher' '--enable-faad' '--enable-real' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-tremor' '--enable-directfb' '--enable-aa' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-xosd' '--enable-fbosd' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-update-check' 'build_alias=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic' 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use the output with duplicate{} so it might just be std then. I don't have the exact code on this computer though.
    Quote Quote