VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This clip is from an NTSC VHS tape ---> converted to DVD.

Look at the black shadows around the players. Not sure I've ever seen anything like that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nba-image1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	31306

Sample: https://www.sendspace.com/file/g6mgyv

Don't think it has anything to do with the frame rate, and is probably from the source. Can I salvage this already terrible-looking video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. That video has so many problems, that I don't know where to start. You'll never get rid of the ghosts. They look like they might have been in the original tape, probably from old-fashioned OTA multi-path ghosting, where the signal reflected off a tall building or mountain (both of which you have in LA), and arrived at a slightly later point in time, resulting in the double "ghosted" image.

However, you also have lousy sound (present in only one channel) and horrendous pixelization, probably from doing a video capture at too low a bitrate, possibly using lousy equipment. Take a look at this frame:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NBA_01.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	31308

Yikes!

I'd keep a watch on the NBA channel, ESPN Classic channel, and other sports channels that often run old games, usually after midnight. You'd have to edit out the bug (channel logo) and sports crawl, but you'd still have something that is infinitely better than this.

BTW, I deal with sports film trades all the time, and there is an absolutely astounding collection of complete games out there in the world of collectors, often including the commercials. Just poke around the Internet ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I believe it's very strong edge enhancement, although I've never seen any quite like that. When the sharpener is on so strong, like that, you'll often get a second outline of black. If you can look closely, you'll also see a third outline of white outside the black. But, like johnmeyer, I don't think you'll be able to remove it all. Maybe some of it if you're lucky, at the same time removing what little detail there is to begin with.

I'd put the blame - at least part of it - on the guy that capped it to begin with, with the sharpener cranked up all the way on the VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Manono,

I think you may be right about the source of the ghosting. Most of the OTA ghosts were white, not black.
    Quote Quote