VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone here know if the software supports outputting burned layer0 and layer1 DVD-5 discs for submission to replication facilities to produce a DVD-9?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVDA does support DDP. You should probably ask your specific replicator regarding your other question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    2nd question's answer: one doesn't create a "burned" disc of a linked layer. Not only would layer 0 be "incomplete" on its own, but one could not even check a layer 1 disc for QC purposes, because it wouldn't have the IFOs (they reside at the beginning of layer 0).

No, it's been years since I sent a DL DDP out to a replicator, but IIRC you either burn a DDP to a DL disc (making sure you have enough room for the additional file overhead), or you save the DDP fileset to harddisk and send that to the replicator.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure you can burn layer0 and layer1 each to a DVD5, see here:
    http://www.hellmanproduction.com/dvd-authoring/how-to-create-ddp20-master-with-dvd-studio-pro.html
    https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/869066
    I know that GEAR Pro will do, I just wanted to know if DVDAPro will output the layer0 and 1 data separately so they can be burned to two discs
    Quote Quote  
  5. Full disclosure: I don't know.

That being said, assuming Scott is right (generally a safe assumption,) why deliver on 2 DVDs when hard drive, thumb drive, data Blu Ray, or even online delivery of the undivided files is cheap and feasible?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, well yeah it doesn't have to be DVDs, I'm sure a flash drive would work too. I guess what I'm trying to determine is that with DVDAPro (which I've never used) that I don't need a DLT Machine to make a master to submit to a replication house.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sdsumike619 View Post
    what I'm trying to determine is that with DVDAPro (which I've never used) that I don't need a DLT Machine to make a master to submit to a replication house.
    FWIW, back in the day, I regularly submitted authored, burned DVDs to replication houses with no issues. You shouldn't need a DLT machine and there's nothing special about DVDA in that regard.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, does DVDAPro set layer breaks correctly? I remember with Adobe Encore years ago, you had manually change it using some freeware program, and a spreadsheet layer break calculator, it was a PITA...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IIRC, it USUALLY works, though not 100%. But I don't think you can be guaranteed of a seamless transition unless you control the encoding to the degree that it (layer break) start on an new GOP I-frame (with closed GOPs). Makes sense, if you think about it.

Better than Encore in my experience, but not perfect.

You can use other things than DLT now, but for replicated discs where you intend to include encryption, you should do the DDP or CMF image export option (in addition to the standard disc image).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, no encryption, it's pointless to encrypt DVDs when there are numerous programs that exist to decrypt them.
    Quote Quote