VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    so I had an .mp4 video that I converted to DVD (.VOB format) using Aimersoft DVD Creator. I then tried burning it to a DVD. I could play this disk on my computer and also on my standard home DVD player and both work, but it would not work in the van (says chapter 1 and no time or anything). I then tried burning the VIDEO_TS folder to disk using imgburn and I get the same problem. I have a previously burned DVD that works in the van, I just don't know what program they used.
    Any ideas (could it be the brand of DVD?) I tried writing at the slowest speed as well. We are going to Florida in 2 days and I don't want to have to re-convert all the movies if this is just a burning issue.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    First off, I'd recommend AVStoDVD as the conversion program to DVD-video. But since this movie plays ok in your home DVD player, it is probably converted and authored well enough. You can try converting again with AVStoDVD just in case. The program is free to use.

For a picky player, I'd recommend using Verbatim AZO -R discs, or Taiyo Yuden -R discs. Both can be hard to find locally, so with only two days to work with, you probably won't find them. Don't buy the Verbatim "Life Series" discs...make sure that you see AZO on the label. With a desktop drive, try burning at 8x using this 16x media. With a laptop, you should slow down to 4x. ImgBurn is the correct program to use for the burn.

Normally you can find either the TY or Verbatim online at Amazon, rima.com, supermediastore.com and other sites.

Edit: I do remember seeing some Verbatim -R AZO discs at Staples or Office Depot recently. They were the Movie Reel series, with a printed image on top of the discs that looks like the old style movie reels.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 11th Mar 2015 at 09:32.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In addition it could be that the MP4 video has what I might call "PALish characteristics" like PAL type resolutions or frame rates. A DVD player in a US car is most likely going to choke on those if the DVD produced is in PAL format. If your conversion program has an option to produce NTSC DVD output, you should definitely be sure to check that.

If the disc started to play then failed then it's probably not a media problem. It could be, but in such cases I would think it wouldn't start at all so you wouldn't see chapter 1 even. But using good media and burning with ImgBurn help to reduce problems substantially.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys for the replies. Definitely will remember the different options for conversions for the future. I made sure to check the NTSC box, so that is fine. I'm going to try to buy a different brand of DVD tonight and see if that works. Everything I hear online raves about IMGburn, so when I used it and that disk didn't work in the van, but works fine in my home standard DVD player I was shocked.

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  5. My guess is the player in the van, car players are notorious for being picky with DVD+/-R.
    To rule out bad authoring run the DVD through DVDShrink, it will tell you if there are authoring errors.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also it will not hurt to once in a while to clean the laser lens of your dvdplayer and use a can of
    compressed air to blow out the dust.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks guys. I will try cleaning the lens, although the van player works fine with real DVD movies.
    Moviegeek, so can i just take the DVD that I have already burned and import it into DVDshrink and it will tell me if there are any errors?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by archiero View Post
    Moviegeek, so can i just take the DVD that I have already burned and import it into DVDshrink and it will tell me if there are any errors?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Yes, running an analysis only takes two minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    also it will not hurt to once in a while to clean the laser lens of your dvdplayer and use a can of
    compressed air to blow out the dust.
    As this is a car player, I'm not sure how useful that will be. And while it's not a bad idea even ignoring the problems inherent to doing it in a dashboard player, the odds of this fixing the real problem are incredibly low.
    Quote Quote  
  10. So I looked at one of the DVD's that I previously burned and does work in the van. It was a movie that was in .AVI format when I got it and then I used windows DVD maker to put it on a DVD-R that works. So I'm wondering if the whole issue is the fact that I converted an .MP4 to DVD and then burned it on the same type of DVD. Tonight im going to try converting the .MP4 to .AVI first and then burning it with windows DVD maker as that has worked before. Weird though that I couldn't get the van DVD player to read the DVD formatted disk when it was converted from an .MP4, didn't think that would matter since the orginals in both scenarios are being CONVERTED to the same DVD format, albeit using different programs......

Thanks for all the replies,
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by archiero View Post
    So I looked at one of the DVD's that I previously burned and does work in the van. It was a movie that was in .AVI format when I got it and then I used windows DVD maker to put it on a DVD-R that works. So I'm wondering if the whole issue is the fact that I converted an .MP4 to DVD and then burned it on the same type of DVD.
    Since DVDShrink apparently found no authoring errors, the problem is likely to be related to using DVD media that does not burn well enough every time to be readable by your car's DVD player. That is why someone already recommended using better media known for having consistently good quality.

Tonight im going to try converting the .MP4 to .AVI first and then burning it with windows DVD maker as that has worked before. Weird though that I couldn't get the van DVD player to read the DVD formatted disk when it was converted from an .MP4, didn't think that would matter since the orginals in both scenarios are being CONVERTED to the same DVD format, albeit using different programs......

Thanks for all the replies,
    Rob
    No, the type of media file you are converting to DVD has nothing to do with your issue. If the DVD plays this time, its because the individual disc happened to burn well this time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Hi,
    so I had an .mp4 video that I converted to DVD (.VOB format) using Aimersoft DVD Creator. I then tried burning it to a DVD. I could play this disk on my computer and also on my standard home DVD player and both work, but it would not work in the van (says chapter 1 and no time or anything). I then tried burning the VIDEO_TS folder to disk using imgburn and I get the same problem. I have a previously burned DVD that works in the van, I just don't know what program they used.
    Any ideas (could it be the brand of DVD?) I tried writing at the slowest speed as well. We are going to Florida in 2 days and I don't want to have to re-convert all the movies if this is just a burning issue.

Thanks,
    Rob
    The player has no other connections to play videos?

I do not use this kind of equipment but how hard is it to play video files through a USB connection (stick or hard drive)? It would be much cheaper than all this mechanical stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  13. So here is the FINAL update thankfully. I got home and tried different DVD's that I just purchased with the .VOB files using IMGburn to burn DVD...still nothing. So then I converted one of my .MP4 files to .AVI and burned it with windows DVD maker and success. However it took over 2.5 hours to do both of those things, so I wasn't going to do that. Someone had mentioned FREEMAKE, so I downloaded and inputted the .MP$ file and burned as a DVD, 30 minutes later I had a burned disc and...it works in the van. So weird because the .VOB files look the same as with the other process, just wouldn't work.
    Thanks for all the replies, very good advice here.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!