VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hi all
    first question here:

i have 1920 x 1080 .mts coming form a pana gh2
    i'm tryng to edit them on lightworks (now, lw likes mpeg iframe hd files...)

i'm tryng to use virtualdub for that job

i follow some instrucctions here, method 4, http://lightworks.wikidot.com/avchd-workflow and i succesfully get the right files, but jus one by one...

to open .mts in virtualdub you need to install some drivers and files (is detalied in the link) and do it like this:

2. Launch Virtualdub and click on File > open video file.
    3. In the Open video file dialogue, click on the Files of type drop down menu and select "all types".
    4. Navigate to your MTS file and click once on it so that the file name appears in the file name box—but do not click on the Open button yet.
    5. Click on the Files of type drop down menu again and this time select "directshow input driver". Click on the Open button. The mts file should open in Virtualdub.

my problem now is that i want to batchprocess a lot of files, impossible to do it manually

i use diferent batchprocessing methods but always have an error, and i'm sure it has to be related to the way that vdub open mts with directshow driver (vdub has problems to open .mts automaticaly from an external program because the batch processing file don't call the directshow input driver... or something like that )

so, any help would be apreciated..

regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think that will be possible with avchd files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM

ps. is there any other way open .mts in vdub? i think this than can solve the problem...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Do you know some AviSynth? I'm sure you can do this with scripts. As well, maybe VirtualDubMod could be a better choice in this.

At work now, but can tinker with this when I'm home.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    hi puzzler
    i read something abou avisynth... but i'm really tired of test (ffmbc, adobe media encoder, virtual dub... ), do all the steps and always find something that stops me...
    anyway, thanks... i will give it a chance... and virtualdubmod too
    lets see... any link to a proved tutorial of any of them?
    regards and thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  6. What was the problem with ffmbc ?

Download "khaver's" batch intermediate creation tools. You can batch encode using a GUI without vdub, but access the same VFW encoder list that vdub offers. It's based off avisynth template file and directshow, so you need to have avisynth installed, haali media splitter and ffdshow installed. These have to be configured and working properly first.

Go to the end of the thread , I think there are newer versions there
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?25044-Batch-Intermediate-Creation-Utilities

There are pdf instructions included with screenshots. All you need for the template file is something like this
    DirectShowsource("__vid__",pixel_type="auto")
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    i like ffmbc, but to use the final files with lighworks i have to do a final transcode to mpeg iframe (better codec to edit in lw)
    so, .mts to .mp4 to .avi (mpeg iframe) ... too much...
    i will check what you say, thanks
    regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. What about dnxhd ? you can batch encode to that with ffmbc

I know lightworks has problems, but virtually every editor can use it
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What about dnxhd ? you can batch encode to that with ffmbc

I know lightworks has problems, but virtually every editor can use it
    hi,
    i think that, right now, lightworks don 't accept dnxhd (in the future? *Due to licensing restrictions, Avid DNxHD has to be sold separately and will be available from the web store for £36 (€45, $55). This is a one-off cost and NOT an annual subscription. Lightworks Announcement: http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122&Itemid=263)

offtopic here: about lightworks problems... yes, still beta... i didn 't know about it until they say "we're gonna be opensource and crossplataform"
    i 'm just tryng, learning and playing... and really enjoying... some issues, but looks minor... it has some powerfull tools. sometimes i say "wow, you cand do this or this so quicky ¡¡¡". interesting. anyway, i came from premiere so i have to change some concepts.

ps. impaciently waiting for the linux version
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah I was just reading that page

Kind of sucks that they are going to be introducing all these extra fees, and annual subscription fees. There will be a free version, but it looks like it will be stripped down

The funny thing is you can use dnxhd for free with other editors (free download from avid, for decode and encode) . A version of it also comes with ffmpeg/ffmbc (truly opensource and free)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again,

Here's a method that can work for you, no drivers, commandlines, extensive script knowledge, etc.

Create scripts of each MTS file:
    Download and install AviSynth -> worth it.
    Download MeGUI, no installation on the latest version.
    In MeGUI: Tools->File Indexer
    Drag your MTS file into "Input File".
    Hit Queue and window will close (disable the check marks at the bottom if you want to keep feeding MeGUI more content to be indexed).
    Go to Queue tab, you should see your jobs. Hit Start. You will get indexed versions of your MTS files.
    In MeGUI: Tools->AVS Script Creator
    Drag your indexed file(s) into it. (You may see a preview.) Hit Save to create a simple AviSynth script for each.

You can then use these scripts, as if they are AVI files, to load into VirtualDub and do your thing.

If you want to batch files, I would suggest VirtualDubMod:
    Load your file/script.
    Do your thing in VDM.
    F7, but at the bottom enable "Don't run this job now; add it to..." etc
    Save.
    Then when you've loaded all your jobs, and you're ready to process, hit F4.
    You will see them ready to go in another window that will open up. Then hit Start.

Hope it helps. This way you can work with MTS files in VirtualDub(Mod).
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 8th Oct 2011 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    hi puzZLeR

thank you very much..

i was trying to do the worklow that you propose, but, at some point, importing th script file into vdubmod i get an error message ("couldn't locate decompressor for format YV12 -unknown- vdub requieres video for windows VFW...") maybe i do something wrong in the previous steps, or i need to install something else... (vdubmod only alow me now to do direct stream copy)

anyway, and more important than this... i have more than 500 mts files... no way to set some settings and select all the files in a folder to do the job? i have to do it one by one??? i refuse¡¡¡ this is my problem..

crazy mts world
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Again

Originally Posted by cesardeuve View Post
    i was trying to do the worklow that you propose, but, at some point, importing th script file into vdubmod i get an error message ("couldn't locate decompressor for format YV12 -unknown- vdub requieres video for windows VFW...") maybe i do something wrong in the previous steps, or i need to install something else... (vdubmod only alow me now to do direct stream copy)
    That's because you don't have the right VFW codecs installed, something VirtualDub lives off in the AVI world.

I personally have ffdshow and Haali installed. But you can look into CCPC:

http://www.cccp-project.net/
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Combined-Community-Codec-Pack

CCPC includes practically everything you'll need. Unlike "codec packs" this one is very widely respected in Forums like this one.

anyway, and more important than this... i have more than 500 mts files... no way to set some settings and select all the files in a folder to do the job? i have to do it one by one??? i refuse¡¡¡ this is my problem..
    You may have to load them one by one, and do any edits one-by-one, but if they're all for the same encoding settings, then just keep your settings intact with Video -> Compression in VirtualDubMod and load them all in the Job queue. Then you can just start the jobs and walk away until done.

crazy mts world
    Software decoders are starting to recognize this format little by little, so until then it will be a bit crazy.

Hopefully it helps.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    hi ...
    i ĺl check CCPC codecs... they are secure? i remember old days when i have to install pack of codecs and aferthat i had to format everything ...
    regarding main question for me (load a big folder of files) i will try again, testing what you say... i hope it can be doable

ps. yeah, waiting for a normal/stable process, because this is insane
    Last edited by cesardeuve; 13th Oct 2011 at 14:59.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Didn't the batch GUI work for you? You just add the videos (shift select to select them all), select the matrox codec and settings and push start. The only "negative" is that audio is a separate file .

If you use ffmpeg/ffmbc batch file , it's even easier with multiplexed audio, but you cannot use proprietary matrox codec (generic MPEG2 instead)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    hi poisondeathray
    are you meaning "batch" in vdubmod or in vdub?
    in vdub i cannot (explained in my first post)
    i do not try yet in vdubmod...
    ps. i need mpeg iframe to edit in lighworks (matrox) ... so no ffmbc for me (right now)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Neither; I mean the batch GUI in the link provided earlier in post#6: avs batch intermediate creator , or one of the other batch utilities. Screenshots and pdf instructions are in the zip file
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?25044-Batch-Intermediate-Creation-Utilities&p=26284...l=1#post262848

Have you tried I-frame mpeg2 in ffmpeg for Lightworks ? You can specify intra only
    Quote Quote