VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all.

i am currently capturing some 8mm tapes for a friend whos camcorder stopped working but the only camcorder i have access to only has composite out, so not wanting to spend a fortune for a capture card on this pc i went with a USB capture dongle.
    To be fair it does a pretty good job but the only problem i have is i can not adjust the capture bitrate for the mpeg2, which by default is around 8000 kbps. most of the tapes will be small enough to fit straight onto a single layer dvd but a couple are around 5gig.

which would be the best way to reduce these files, i know best is subjective and i would like to not start learning avisynth.

ATM i reincode with avidemux to a lower bitrate then author to dvd, would it be better to author to dvd then shrink it with dvdrebuilder? or use something else to reduce the bitrate?

alan
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Reconvert with hcenc using avstodvd. It can output as mpeg2 or a dvd directly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Author the 5GB files to a dual layer DVD image. Then use DVDShrink to shrink them down to fit on a single layer DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks to both of you, i will check both ways and see if i can notice any difference.
    Quote Quote