VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know how I can turn off or better yet, delete Windows Messenger? When I right click on the icon in the toolbar it simply exits but it is still running in background. Thank you for your help.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know in Windows 2000 it's as follows.....

Control Panel----> Administrative Tools----> Services
    A man walked into his son's room and said..."Son, that will cause blindness."
    The boy said, "Dad, I'm over here."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Windows XP: Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look for xpantispy ... either stop it or remove it if you want .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, found Messenger and turned it off.

BJS what is xpantispy, where is it located, and how do I turn it off? I could not find it.

Thank you.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't windows messenger required for some Outlook functionality?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mats.hogberg ...

It might , but then I personally have used the tool and see no problems doing the "get of my pc you infections piece of rubbish"

Xpantispy > http://kickme.to/XPAntiSpy > click downloads > choose your language > choose exe or zip (I'd do the zip , and scan it first)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To turn off, Tools > Options > Preferences, untick "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts". Now it will only start if you tell it to.

As far as deleting goes, I believe it may be intertwined into WinXP much like IE is, such that I don't think it's a good idea to uninstall it. But I could be wrong ...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jimmalenko :

When you tell it too ... hmm ... then why dose it pop up in the system tray when you fireup good old IE or outlook express .
    You didnt ask it did you ... oh no ... you telling me ms made an os with esp ... I'm freaking out ... it can read mind's ... now I'm scared .

The only way to avoid this situation is to use the alternative browser's like mozilla or other , or as I have , use the idiot tool , it's faster .
    I havent had any issue's in the past with this tool , or even now on the new system which has integrated sp2 from the install cd .

I have checked the browser , outlook express , no settings of any use .
    Add and remove windows program's show messenger as zip , nadda ... or in plain language ... 0 , so that might prove fruitless .
    Been through the service's ... zip there as well .

The only other way to clear it right off is good old linux ... go you little beauties ... my money's on the red dude running last ... always back the underdog ... cause they cant screwup any further ... it's either off to the dog meat factory , or on and up to victory .
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot to add ... I'll image my system once more tomorrow , and give it another wack , and give it a review as to how it all gose after the event .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that bugger always seems to find a way to turn itself back on. make sure it's not running in system processes and do what it do, delete the complete "messenger" folder it reside in. that was the only way i ever found to keep it off.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think IM is used by M$ OSs & others like AV for some of its auto-updating & verification. To add to the confusion, I think there is more than one kind of messenger...

I've had two in the toolbar at once, both claiming they aren't signed in. More nervewracking is when the little icon turns to a black box. & of course no amount of snooping by me detects anything wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you have all the latest updates for windows xp, messenger appears in add/remove windows components, and can be completely uninstalled with no side effects whatsoever.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs
    jimmalenko :

When you tell it too ... hmm ... then why dose it pop up in the system tray when you fireup good old IE or outlook express .
    That would support my intertwined theory no ?

BTW there's a way to turn it off when using Outlook 2003 under Tools > Options > Other under Person Names - "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and "Display Messenger status in the From field".

Originally Posted by Bjs
    You didnt ask it did you ... oh no ... you telling me ms made an os with esp ... I'm freaking out ... it can read mind's ... now I'm scared .
    You should be .... you should be ...

Originally Posted by Bjs
    ... or as I have , use the idiot tool ...
    That explains a few things ...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    everyone who believes its really turned off, raise your hand... 8)
    Quote Quote