Hey everyone, has anyone in here got any first hand experience with either a Sony FDR-AX33 or a Panasonic DC-VX870 4k camcorder.

Friend of mine has just bought the VX870, but he lives too far from me to check it out personally, but he likes it so far.

https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/lumix-cameras-video-cameras/video-cameras/hc-vx870m.html

http://www.sony.com.au/product/fdr-ax33

For me the VX870 just falls apart in several areas compared to the FDR-AX33, and i will mention these short comings right here, and i am presenting this to you as an avid user of Panasonic video cams going back at least 20 years, and all i can say right now, after initially thinking i might buy a VX870, that i am very disappointed in Panasonic for making so many fatal design changes from previous models, so i am now having to re-evaluate my choice and pay an additional $400 and buy the AX33.

Viewfinder: VX870 no vs AX33 yes (i never use one so it makes no difference to me)

Hot Shoe: VX870 has a removable one where the viewfinder normally sits, AX33 has built into the top under a flap.

Battery: both cams have a rear mounted battery, VX870 clips on from the bottom, the AX33 clips on sideways, so the AX33 wins this one.

SD Card Slot: VX870 is under the cam next to the battery, AX33 is on the side behind the screen, so AX33 hands down win this one.

Mic Jack: VX870 is stupidly placed on the left side behind the flip out screen, AX33 is on the right side under the hot shoe flap, so yet another stupid mistake by Panasonic here, AX33 wins again.

4k XAVC-S Recording: VX870 shoots at 72Mbps (realistic it is 60 to 65Mbps max) AX33 shoots 100Mbps (realisticly 90 to 95Mbps max) so guess who wins yet again, yes the AX33.

Color: VX870 clors look more yellow and blue tinge to me, AX33 looks more natural in my eyes.

Image Stabilization: VX870 has its usual very decent 5 axis point OIS, AX33 has the new and amazing BOSS Stabilization System, and according to everything i have seen, the AX33 destroys the VX870 here.

Auto Focus: right now i cannot make any comments on this feature yet.

As far as which camera looks nicer, i prefer the VX870, but both cams are black plastic and definately don't look like anything other than a consumer grade camcorder, however both are bigger than all previous consumer class camcorders manufactured before, which i like.

If anyone has anything to add here, please do contribute.