VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ive made a menu in Photoshop for my Encore project...within these programmes, my button highlights look fine. However, as soon as I create a DVD and view it on my TV.. everything looks fine exept for my button highlights..the edges are jagged and ugly...

The highlight is a simple red triangle... ive made it using the shape tool in Photoshop cs5.5

It's probably something simple..but does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. A red triangle on a colored background? It's probably a result of chroma 4:2:0 subsampling used in MPEG encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok thanks, but how do I solve this? Just use another color for the highlight? thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. To be sure something like the right red square in this image (compared to the original square on the left):

Name:  sub.png
Views: 1175
Size:  5.0 KB

Add a black border around the button. Or use some antialiasking. Or use similar colors, just different intensities for the button and the background (eg, bright red for the button, dark red for the background).

With a thin black border:
    Name:  border.png
Views: 1153
Size:  3.8 KB
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Nov 2011 at 09:02.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ive tried adding a black border, but the problem remains.. I dont understand why only the highlight appear jagged, while the other red colors in my menu that are there by default..are fine...Are you sure it has to do with the chroma subsampling??

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Henkie View Post
    Ive tried adding a black border, but the problem remains.. I dont understand why only the highlight appear jagged, while the other red colors in my menu that are there by default..are fine...Are you sure it has to do with the chroma subsampling??
    It could be something else. Does it look like the image I posted? Post a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subpictures don't support anti-aliasing. I don't know if this will be useful to you but it might be worth a look http://home.comcast.net/~c.linke/dvdsub/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ive included a picture as an example..one with a shape as my menu highlight, and one with the actual text as the highlight..both in red...
    It turns out that it also looks bad on my computer, even before the encoding to dvd...so it looks like crap in encore aswell...

edit:
    i think it has something to do with the color sets.. I can get a colored text overlay to work properly now but tinkering with the color sets.. I just can't get that shape to look right with it..edit 2: BTW, the problem only occurs with triangles, not with squares...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	example.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	9775  

Last edited by Henkie; 25th Nov 2011 at 03:01.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it is possible to entirely avoid jagged edges on subpictures (because real anti-aliasing isn't possible), but you might have more control over the appearance if you re-drew the triangle with anti-aliasing turned off.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Altering the 'Still Mode' settings on your DVD player may help. Your DVD player should have this setting in Display Settings. I have three settings in still mode - 'automatic', 'field', 'frame'. Choose 'frame' to smooth out and jagged edges to text, etc. That's not to say it'll work with shapes but anything is worth trying.
    Quote Quote