VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have XP installed in C and Vista in D.

I need now to do a new installation of XP but I don't want to lose the Vista installation, because of this well known issue with the dual booting disappearing as soon as you install XP after Vista.

I already tried it and I couldn't get back the dual booting (and Vista either as a result), not even using programs like vistabootpro y easybcd.

The only way to recover Vista was by restoring two Norton ghost images I had from D (with Vista) and C (with the old XP I want to erase).

So, is there a way to install XP from scratch in C without losing my Vista installation? I must insist that I already tried a lot of things after reading about this issue in internet and downloading special programs like the ones I mentioned above and it was impossible for me to get the old MBR.

Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If your Vista installation is working properly, I think/hope it can
    be bootloaded from a CD or from a floppy --- at least the "trick"
    works well for Windows 95/98/ME/2K/XP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm afraid that doesn't work for Vista or at least I couldn't find any documentation about it in internet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With earlier Windows versions it was necessary to install the older OS first. For example I have Win98 and Win2k dual boot which is possible only if Win98 is installed first; Win98 install is not possible after Win2k or WinXP is installed. I suspect the same would be true for Vista, i.e. the only way to setup dual boot with Vista would be to install WinXP first and then install Vista. See http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm for more on WinXP/Vista dual boot setup.

I don't think a fully functional Windows booted from CD is possible. You can make and boot to a bootable CD, but only limited command line functions and CD access are possible as far as I know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Using software to select boot partition and/or dirve is a bad idea, most especially when there is a far more effective and safe option available.

First, when installing an OS, remove all other drives. Then, simply select the desired boot drive in the BIOS.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your solution is called Vmware aka the "the virtualisation"
    use the software Vmware server and you can create literally a NEW computer INSIDE your real computer allowing you to install an OS XP,linux..whatever and all that for free.

No need to make partitions with that and it works like a charm though u can't control everything like a normal computer but internet works that i know it and u can conect usb decives (hdd,usb key)

What i did personnally is to install XP (EOM version) in the virtual machine as a test so currently i have 2 Xp

All you need is 10 GB free and you're good to go
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for answering.

Originally Posted by Nelson37
    First, when installing an OS, remove all other drives. Then, simply select the desired boot drive in the BIOS.
    The problem is both OS are in the same boot drive, in different partitions.

As for the virtual solution, I would prefer to install in HD in order to have the same control I have now.

I know I could install a new XP in a different partition, not in C, and then I wouldn't have any problem at all, but as soon as you format C and reinstall Windows the MBR goes to hell.

Anyway, I think I'll have to give up. In C is impossible.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    bevills1 wrote:

I don't think a fully functional Windows booted from CD is possible. You can make and boot to a bootable CD, but only limited command line functions and CD access are possible as far as I know.
    All that is required for loading the OS is a copy of the original boot.ini in the floopy or CD
    (besides ntldr and ntdetect.com, of course).

The problem is both OS are in the same boot drive, in different partitions.
    That's really a big problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While time consuming, just do what you did once already. Make a fresh Ghost image of D if necessary, and then install XP on C, followed by an install of Vista on D. The Vista install can be minimal (no need to update drivers, Vista patches or load programs), as you're just going to lay the Ghost image over the top of it. The Vista install is just to get the necessary pieces for the dual boot process.

Fair warning: I haven't done this myself, but I can't see a reason why it would not work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both OS are in the same boot drive, in different partition is no problem. Doing it as instructed in link in my first post you may have WinXP in C drive and Vista in the other partition. However, it seems I was mistaken about having to install WinXP first according to http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about88231.html, and Vista will be in C drive by following instruction in this second link with WinXP in the other partition.

Edit: Just realized the link in my first post has another link on that page for installing WinXP after Vista is installed. This gives another option depending on which way you want the dual boot setup. The prouton Ghost image idea should work too. I've done that very thing to restore my Win2k when Win98 had to be reinstalled for my dual boot system, and it's logical that it should work for WinXP and Vista too.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To whom this may interest:

http://www.multibooters.co.uk/floppy.html
    Quote Quote