VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have been copying my dvd's and saving them as a DVD folder (VOB format) for years. What are the advantages of saving a movie as an ISO image? I'm pretty sure the quality of the copy is the same.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't really think there is an advantage. It's really just a disk image of the video_ts file structure.

ISO files were in use as generic disk images long before they started to be used as video/audio "containers".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    There is also the NRG file. I guess it's also another container.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    NRG is Nero's proprietary image format for ISO 9660 CDs. Why Nero felt it was necessary to create this in the first place is a great idea. But it's not a format for DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only advantage of an iso file is to keep the files in one container file so no files are lost in case of accidents.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I see, well thanks for the input.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ISO is a disadvantage if your using a remote Hard Disk with a fat format. Can only put ISOs on it smaller than 4 gb. Also some players prefer TS folder
    But as JohnsO said above.. with only 1 file it's easier to keep track of and you have less of a problem loosing something.

I generally use TS folders for stuff on hard disks. That way with episodic DVDs I can just choose a specific vob file to play.

ISO vs TS folder.... best thing is it doesn't take much time or effort to convert them back and forth. And it's all lossless.

Tony
    Quote Quote