VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was going to make sample tape using orig camcorder CCD-V101 used for recording home movies, but tape transport doesn't move tape. Can play those tapes with the DCR-TRV480 which does not have svideo port. Worth looking into fixing the CCD-V101 for the sole purpose of Hi8 capture? May be something we can do, but quick googling makes me fear entire tape transport would have to be replaced. Years ago we had the caps replaced on the V101 and was that expensive!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you get some estimates, and then weigh that against buying a used
    Hi8 camera.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No point in buying a used camcorder; the TRV480 will play the tapes. Just wondering about quality difference between the 2 camcorders: if old V101 svideo >> newer TRV480 composite, it's at least worth looking at.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There could be a significant difference or not. On my old Canon ES5000 Hi8 camera,
    the s-video connection is quite a bit clearer and sharper looking. But in capturing old VHS, a particular
    VCR I had delivered a more usable picture using the composite.

However, in your case, you can't compare since the Hi8 camera is broken. Discussing whether one
    *might* be better than the other gets you nowhere.

If you get a repair estimate, you at least have something tangible to consider.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But the DCR-TRV480 is a Digital8 camcorder so will play back the Hi8 tapes and output as DV-AVI over Firewire. Far better than any analogue output.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davexnet, repair estimates are usually not free. Asking just in case someone else has been in the situation.

Richard_G, from what I've googled, it depends on the camcorder's internal analog to digital converter. It may or may not be better than analog conversion using a different technique.

Thanks for thoughts.
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 6th Jan 2014 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    davexnet, repair estimates are usually not free. Asking just in case someone else has been in the situtation.
    Call your local sony authorized repair shop. It's usually a set price for camcorders no matter what they repair. Given that they might replace the entire insides of the camera it can work out to be quite a good deal.

Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Richard_G, from what I've googled, it depends on the camcorder's internal analog to digital converter. It may or may not be better than analog conversion using a different technique.

Thanks for thoughts.
    Internal is going to be better unless you're using super-expensive equipment -- and you aren't.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix, I'll call tomorrow, but seeing that this is a 22+ year old camcorder, doubt if the flat rate will apply. Really, not trying to be stubborn about the repair, but unless I have a pretty good feeling that the svideo output will be better than the composite (or digital/firewire) output of the newer camcorder, doesn't seem to be worth the $. Strange things happen though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It might be interesting to give the DV / firewire connection a try. The camera, I believe, had quite a good reputation.
    Are you working with old home movies, or are you doing something professionally?

Perhaps you could post a small sample to share with the forum? Samples that I've seen in the past
    from DV over Firewire, tended to be slightly more grainy that a similar analog-sourced version, but still
    of acceptable quality.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davexnet, firewire as well as analog via AIW, 550 & 650 have always been on the schedule of methods to try for the Hi8 home videos. Have already downloaded WinDV and Scenalyzer - just haven't got to 'em yet. Been focusing on VHS capture methods. Created a sample VHS tape that I've converted with various hardware/techniques; have been posting samples & getting great feedback. Plan to do the same with the Hi8. Wanted to record a test using the same camcorder as was used for the home videos, but it looks like it was not meant to be. I'm such a newbe and don't have an editor's eye nor knowledge of what can and cannot be "fixed" - but I'm learning.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've taken an old, dead camcorder into a Sony repair centre for an estimate and was told it simply isn't worth it. The problem is that the electrolytic capacitors age and lose their capacity. They did say that they could probably identify which one(s) were actually causing the immediate problem and replace those but as soon as it was used others would start to fail and it would die again. The only sure fire way of repairing it would be to replace every single one, an extremely time consuming, and therefore expensive, process.

In my experience, not only is Firewire transfer far easier than analogue capture, the quality is every bit as good if not better.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quite a few years back, had to have all the caps in the old V101 camcorder replaced and, brother, was it expensive. The current problem seems to be in the transport system. Wouldn't be surprised if there are rubberish thingys that have become gummy with age, but it could be anything. Like you found, doubt very much that it is worth having professionally repaired, particularly when I have another camcorder that will play the tapes. Sure am glad I bought that TRV480 new when it was still a retail product; had no idea then that it would be pretty much the last of the ones that could play Hi8. Right now I'm just wondering if it is even worth taking the V101 apart & googling for fixes. If the output of the TRV480 is as good or better than the old V101, what's the point? Hence the point of the post...
    Quote Quote  
  13. this thread went off in a different direction. Use the TRV480, the image will be as good or better even if only for the built-in TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now that's the confirmation I was looking for.
    Quote Quote