VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

As a Tour de France fan, I've recently come across a load of old footage of the tour available on Youtube.

I can live with watching it on the laptop, but I can't help but think that it would be better to watch it on my tv (bigger screen, more sound etc.).

In order to do this, I found a way of downloading the files from Youtube using this software:

http://www.downloadhelper.net/

I then thought that if I could convert the files to avi or mp4 format using this software:

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

I could load the files onto a memory stick and the put the stick into the dvd player or digital tv box so that the files would play.

Well, I thought it was a good plan, but unfortunately, the digital tv box doesn't recognise the files at all and the dvd player recognises them but only plays the sound and gives me the message 'Video codec not supported'.

This leads me to think that I've converted the files wrongly - or maybe they can't be converted at all to play via the dvd player.

I would appreciate any constructive advice.

Dr AS
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try make an avi with xvid video in freemake. I think it defaults makes avi with h264 video. You can adjust it if you click on the edit preset button after you clicked to avi.

Or convert to standard dvd-video(a video_Ts folder with vob,ifo,bup files) with freemake or avstodvd.

And it might help if you told us a bit more about the digital tv box and the dvd player. What formats do they support? What is the model/brand/name?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Anything that is not a streaming media player will be very picky about what it will play. This includes your DVD player and digital TV box. As baldrick points out, you have provided no information on these devices so we can't tell you what will work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi,

Baldrick's first comment solved the problem, I was doing the conversion wrong.

Xvid works a treat via the dvd player.

Thanks very much for the help.
    Quote Quote