VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here's hoping somebody can tell me if I can get this to work or not. I've got a Pyro A/V Link in which allows me to hook up my a/v video cam through the firewire converter for the purpose of converting movies. Camera works flawlessly in iMovie. Thought I could check out iChat. iChat recognizes the camera but the screen is just blue as if the connection is there but no picture. Can anybody tell me if I can get this to work?

To get an idea what the Pyro A/V Link is go here: http://www.adstech.com/products/API_550/intro/api550intro.asp?pid=API-550

Here is my setup:

PowerMac G5 stock setup with extra ram and fw hd, OS X 10.3.3.
    Sony Cam hooked up via the Pyro A/V Link.
    iChat recognizes Pyro A/V Link but there is no picture. Of course, my lense cap is open, the cam is running and I can verify that through my camera's led screen display. I can see the cam picture in action through iMovie without a hitch. When running iChat, the program just doesn't seem to want to feed the picture through. Anybody else have any other ideas?

Much obliged
    Lead, Follow, Or Get Outta The Way!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have to hit Rec or Playback to get something other than blue in iMovie? I don't have a dv cam anymore, but I think thats how it used to work. If so, try starting iChat, set up the camera, and hit Rec on the camera. If that doesn't work, it might be because iChat wishes that you owned an iSight. In that case, it might be possible to get the camera to work by frelling with the (okay, because Firefly is cool too, I'm going to include their swear words sometime) iChat frameworks, or drivers or something.
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most users i have talked to that have video cameras tell me it has to be active.... such that its recording to a tape.
    try the suggestion of recording and see if that makes the screen active, if so just use a scratch tape for your iChat covnversations

you could also try the iChatUSB Cam addition, mostly used for allowing iChat to work with USB Cameras but it also has some other nice features, like removing the 600mhz cap for getting video

so maybe it will allow you to use this camera of yours
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've tried iChatUSB Cam and there was no change whatsoever. As for iMovie, the camera plays flawlessly in iMovie and I do not have to activate the play or record button on the camera at all. I actually can get the camera to play through just fine in iMovie. I do think that the camera does need to have something so as to get iChat think there is a camera there to "play". This is getting frustrated because iChat knows the camera is there but through the Pyro A/V Link, not the camera itself. I've been trying to get in touch with tech support from ADS Technologies but having a hard time being that I'm hearing impaired and cannot understand on the phone. Time will tell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so the camera is not hooked up directly to the mac? does it not have USB or FIREWIRE export?
    if not i dont think there will be a way to get that baby to work with iChat.
    It has to have either a USB or FIREWIRE peripheral that registers as a camera - as far as i know.

I will work with cameras attached via usb/firewire but they usually time out if they are not actively recording, thus what we mentioned above
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, technically no... but like I mentioned on my first post the camera is hoooked up to the Pyro A/V Link which in turn is hooked up via firewire. The camera works flawlessly in iMovie and iChat DOES recognize Pyro A/V Link but just doesn't seem to get the feed going.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Bump?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    iChat has to see the camera directly.
    It thinks Pyro A/V IS the camera it should be using.
    Unlike iMovie, which has built in drivers to recognize
    SPECIFICALLY I/O devices, as well as "bridges",
    iChat cannot.

unless you can hook the camera direct, its a no go.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote