VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Many standalone DVD recorders author a DVD that is not compatible with PC programs so this guide is a quick and easy fix.

What you need:
    FixVTS
    DVDDecrypter(optional)

1a.First open the disc in Explorer then drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder to your desktop.
    1b.If you want one continuous VOB then use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode.
    2.Open the VIDEO_TS folder and drag the VIDEO_TS.VOB file to the lower window in FixVTS:

3.Select Full DVD and your VOB's should now work:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cooool, Thanks
    I've already linked to it.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    moviegeek, do you know what it is that FixVTS is correcting? I'm curious...
    jeanl
    MenuShrink a free tool to shrink menus into stills with or without audio!
    DVDSubEdit: a free tool to modify your subtitles directly inside the vob.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    FixVTS opens a full Video Title Set (i.e. a menu vob, or a series of title vobs) and updates a number of important pointers in the vob file. Specifically, the forward pointers (enabling to quickly go from navpack to navpack) and the two this->LBA pointers that indicate the sector of the current navpack.
    In addition, FixVTS keeps track of all the navpacks, and of all the cells in the vob file, and adjusts the IFO file for the titleset so that they match what's in the vob files.
    FixVTS can also remove unreferenced cells (i.e. cells that are in the vob files, but never played back, according to the IFO file).
    FixVTS also fixes blank packs that are sometimes introduces by DVD rippers when they encounter unreadable sectors. These blank packs can either be removed, or replaced by compliant "stuffing packs".
    FixVTS can be compared to an IFOEdit "Mock Strip" in the sense that it performs some of the modifications that IFOEdit does. However, FixVTS does not update all the pointers IFOEdit does, and does not mess up the PGC cell flags or the cell commands. It does reorder the VCIDs, which is something that a mock strip does not do. In addition, it is significantly faster (in-place mode) and can process an entire DVD with 1 click.
    FixVTS tries hard to process as fast as possible by re-writing only what's necessary. When processing from backup, everything must be re-written, so that's the slowest option. When processing in-place, and if the option to remove unreferenced material is not checked, only blank packs and navpacks are re-written, and only if it's necessary (for example, if some of the pointers are wrong, or if they are renumbered).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ! hech54, I wrote that stuff!!! I know what FixVTS does! I'm simply curious what needs to be fixed in a DVD recorder disc!

jeanl
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jeanl
    ! hech54, I wrote that stuff!!! I know what FixVTS does! I'm simply curious what needs to be fixed in a DVD recorder disc!

jeanl
    Why....VTS's silly...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jeanl
    See? I told you how handy your program was!
    If this helps, I used to put a trash title on the DVD and that helped with dvdshrink. The first VTS was always invisible to DVDshrink.
    Edited for legibility only.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @jeanl
    FixVTS is a great app.I just thought I would write a simple guide because I see questions posted regarding problems with DVD-VR.The reason is DVD-VR alters the navigation files and isn't to DVD-Video specs,where as DVD+VR is closer to DVD-Video format:
    www.eventdv.net/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=5449&PageNum=1
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Many standalone DVD recorders author a DVD that is not compatible with PC programs so this guide is a quick and easy fix.
    Thanx for the guide. This reminds me of a similar question, which seems to me like the same issue, but going in the reverse direction. (If tacking it on in here is bad form, please excuse.) My starting point is these two guides that make use of the Clip Video Segments feature in DVD Shrink:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=239568
    and particularly https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=198813

When you extract these clips, you wind up with a group of related files for each clip, made on the PC, which won't play on the standalone player -- at least not on the 3 or 4 different DVD players I've tried. Now I get it that the job is not finished when you've just made the clip, that some kind of authoring still needs to be done. NOOB-ish question: I'm curious to learn exactly what piece(s) are missing at this stage, that renders the clip still unplayable in the standalone player ? Then, in regard to making a Clips Compilation DVD, do we need to go the full route such as TMPEGENC, or are there any quick 'n dirty shortcuts ? (From the other direction, I can make a bunch of clips on the Pioneer 520 easily enough, and these will play on other standalones or on the PC.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    @jeanl
    FixVTS is a great app.I just thought I would write a simple guide because I see questions posted regarding problems with DVD-VR.The reason is DVD-VR alters the navigation files and isn't to DVD-Video specs,where as DVD+VR is closer to DVD-Video format:
    www.eventdv.net/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=5449&PageNum=1
    MOVIEGEEK, next time you do this procedure, using FixVTS, can you save the log and post it here? If you right click on the app top bar, you'll see an option to open the log. I'm insterested in what's not compliant with the DVD-VR stuff, and that will be indicated in the log!
    Thanks!
    Jeanl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The LEAST I can do considering the mileage I've put on this ap!

PROCESSING FULL DVD
    D:\video cds\DVD_VR\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB does not exists, updating IFO...
    Processing D:\video cds\DVD_VR\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Now cleaning VTS_C_ADT
    Now updating navpack info
    Now updating PGC playback times
    Now updating VTS sectors
    Now writing IFO file
    Now updating video_ts.ifo vts sectors
    Now writing video_ts.ifo
    FixVTS -- Beta 1.23
    Processing D:\video cds\DVD_VR\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB -- in-place processing
    Remove unrefed is ON
    Reset ILVU Ptrs is OFF
    Found VCID 1/1 at LBA 0 (0 out)
    Found Video Format: NTSC

Format Video: NTSC

Found VCID 1/255 at LBA 6088 (6088 out)
    Remapping 1/255 to 1/2
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 6089
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 6090
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 6091
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 6092
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 6093
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 6094
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 6095
    Found VCID 1/2 at LBA 6096 (6089 out)
    Remapping 1/2 to 1/3
    Adjusting Fwd pointer at LBA 6088
    Found VCID 1/255 at LBA 11600 (11593 out)
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11601
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11602
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11603
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11604
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11605
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11606
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11607
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11608
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11609
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11610
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11611
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11612
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11613
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11614
    Skipping blank pack at LBA 11615
    Done with VOB files. 1 navpack pointers adjusted, 22 packs removed, 41 navpack remapped, 0 navpacks ILVU flags reset
    Processing D:\video cds\DVD_VR\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Now cleaning VTS_C_ADT
    Now updating VTS sectors
    Now writing IFO file
    Now writing video_ts.ifo

FixVTS -- Beta 1.23
    Processing D:\video cds\DVD_VR\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB -- in-place processing
    Remove unrefed is ON
    Reset ILVU Ptrs is OFF
    Found VCID 1/1 at LBA 0 (0 out)
    Found Video Format: NTSC

Format Video: NTSC

Found VCID 2/1 at LBA 48 (48 out)
    Done with VOB files. 0 navpack pointers adjusted, 0 packs removed, 0 navpack remapped, 0 navpacks ILVU flags reset
    Processing D:\video cds\DVD_VR\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
    Now cleaning VTS_C_ADT
    Now updating VTS sectors
    Now writing IFO file
    Now writing video_ts.ifo

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    interesting! The VCID remapping (from 1/255 to 1/2) is very important for DVDShrink to report the right sizes when you open the DVD.
    The forward pointers are absolutely crucial in DVDShrink. If any is messed up, shrink gives up. Blank packs normally are no big deal, shrink normally just skips them....
    jeanl
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Polaroid DRM-2100G creates a weird DVD_VR disc. It plays fine in the Polaroid, but when played on most stand alone DVD players it works except that the fast forward function moves at warp speed . . . makes skipping commercials impossible.

When I try to use FixVTS on it it doesn't fix the problem, in fact it makes an unusable disc. What happens is that the Polaroid has a menu - when you press the up button the menu displayed is for the DVD recorder - it has the finalize the disc function, etc. on it. Anyway, after fixing the disc it defaults to this top menu and wont let you do anything within that menu.

If anyone would like a crack at this drop me a note and I'll snail mail ya a disc to look at.

Thanks!

Steve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got your DVD, thanks. I see where the problem comes from.
    Your recorder, as many, does not make a compliant DVD. The menu problem comes from video_ts.vob and video_ts.ifo. The menu PGC references VCID 1/1, but that VCID does not exist in the VOB! The vob has VCID 2/1, but that's nowhere in the IFO!
    As a result, FixVTS removes that cell, and you're without a menu. In this case, you could run FixVTS with all options off, and that would not destroy your DVD, but it wouldn't do much either.
    It's not clear how to fix such problems because that's clearly faulty authoring: if the IFO says that cell 1 references VCID 1/1 from LBA 0 to 64, if you go to the VOB to look at these LBAs, you should find VCID 1/1. In this case you don't and that's baaaad!

It's hard to decide what to do in this case. I guess FixVTS should just not care whether that's legit or not, and act like most players do (i.e., ignore the VCID in the IFO, and go to the sectors without thinking twice). But that's not the way it is at the moment.

For the rest of your problems: I tried the DVD in PowerDVD, and the fast forward works just fine. The DVD loads in DVD Shrink and PGCEdit with no problem either.
    But you could try PGCEdit's new function to recreate the time maps (open in PGCEdit, and select the DVD menu, "rebuild time maps"). This might fix the problem for you...

JeanlA
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jean,

Glad you got it - THANKS for taking a look at it!

Since it didn't work right I figured it was bad authoring. From what I've read the Polaroid isn't the only one doing this kinda stuff. It's odd the manufacturers would be so remiss in putting this kinda stuff out.

Yes, the DVDs do play in PowerDVD just fine. It's stand alone players that seem to have the problems.

I'll give PGCEdit a shot when I have a little more time.

THANKS for everything Jean!

Steve
    Quote Quote