VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anybody know of a nice HD camcorder that uses AVI format
    for under 300 bucks?
    Ive been looking at cameras everywhere, and its so confusing for a noob like myself.
    I have no idea what im really looking at.
    Im trying shoot some Guitar Lesson videos, and they have to look really sharp.

Right now im using a Logitech HD webcam, which looks great, but the frame rate is not
    good enough.
    Here is one of my videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4LnbKOaSxk

Thanks for any and all info!
    Todd
    Last edited by toddkreuz; 5th Apr 2012 at 15:11. Reason: added info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what do you mean by avi? avi is just the container name, inside an avi can be many different types of video. almost if not all HD cams use newer containers like mov, ts, m2ts, etc. avi pretty much went out of use when minidv cams and divx stopped being used.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    what do you mean by avi? avi is just the container name, inside an avi can be many different types of video. almost if not all HD cams use newer containers like mov, ts, m2ts, etc. avi pretty much went out of use when minidv cams and divx stopped being used.
    Thanks for the response!

I need AVI because i use Sony Vegas which seems to prefer that file extension. I have issues with .mov, .mp4, mts, etc
    I suppose i could convert the file once i record it, but it would be nice to be able to record .avi's.

Im a complete noob here, so please if you have time, school me on file extensions vs file formats for video.

todd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as a long time user of vegas i would guess something is amiss with your install. if it's up to date (vegas pro 11) it should have no problem with almost any HD camera format. it may be once it's loaded onto vegas your computer isn't powerful/fast enough to edit them though.

if you want the possibility of shooting SD (720x480) miniDV (DVavi) or HD (1920x1080) you should look into an HDV cam like the canon hv40. they use miniDV tape to shoot either HD or SD. i can guaranty that the HD .m2t files will open in any current version of vegas going back to about 6 i think. and the SD avi off the tapes can be used in any editor.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the under $300 is a problem in itself as nothing in that price range is going to be very good. mostly you'll find they shoot mp4 video in various containers. highly compressed and not very editable because when they are re-encoded what quality they had suffers.
    --
    Quote Quote