VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.
    I wanted to ask something about a subtitle problem that's been bugging me.
    I have an ass stylised subtitled for an anime film in mkv.
    I play the film with MPC-HD.
    the subtitle includes various styles (eg colored subtitles appearing in signs etc.).
    I don't have any problem but with only one specific subtitle.
    It appears in a sign.
    But when I playback the file it just flashes for a quick second and then vanishes.
    it only shows the subtitle when i pause the file.
    I contacted the person which made the subtitle, and tells me there is no problem in playback.

I've checked "allow animation when buffering", in the options of MPC, but it won't do.
    any other suggestions?
    I repeat, I don't have any problem at all with all the other stylised subtitles (which also appear in signs, newspapers etc.) Only with this one!

the subtitles is for this here (it appears on the sign normally when i pause the film):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	kokuriko.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	13150
    Last edited by thinredline; 23rd Jul 2012 at 05:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember correctly SubStationAlpha uses time codes on subtitles that you can change. I think your "problem" is simply that the duration of this subtitle is not long enough and you should be able to just change the duration.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, it's not that.
    i open the subtitle as text file and the duration is fine (3-4 seconds).
    and also when i open with VLC, the subtitles are displayed, though i have other problems there (awful picture quality, doesn't load particular fonts etc.) so i don't use VLC at all..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just realized that your screen capture, which I didn't pay a lot of attention to, is from anime. This is an anime specific issue. I'm not an anime fan so I don't really keep up but we've had posts in the past that suggest that some player other than MPC and VLC is really best for anime because it knows better how to deal with special subtitles in the video. Maybe if you search the forums you can find some older posts on this subject or maybe someone with anime experience will get interested and can suggest a better player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. well, it's not an anime issue.
    the subtitles are subtitles, no matter what the video is.
    anyway, i tried the subtitles with another film (non-anime), and the same problem is there..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps it would be easier to answer your question if you posted the subtitle file + time code of the "bad" line?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
    well, it's not an anime issue.
    the subtitles are subtitles, no matter what the video is.
    anyway, i tried the subtitles with another film (non-anime), and the same problem is there..

OK, it's a display issue technically, but this issue is rarely seen with anything but anime.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Nikse View Post
    Perhaps it would be easier to answer your question if you posted the subtitle file + time code of the "bad" line?
    well, i don't know if I'm allowed to do this, since it is a subtitle by a group (in Greek),
    but here is a text file with the subtitle in question. (in attachment)
    (remember the original file is an ass file, so when i opened as text it looked like this).

but again, it's not an error in the syntax of the subtitles, since i spoke to other people and they don't have any problem playing in their pc.
    And also i don't have any problem when i play it in vlc (though i have other problems there as I stated before)

also here is the code that was in the start of the file and concerns this type of subtitle:

Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding

Style: latin banner,AG_Artistic_C,33,&H00C1DFEA,&H00C1DFE9,&H00 C2DDE9,&H00C2DEE9,0,0,0,0,80,110,5,0,1,5,0,2,20,20 ,14,1

Anyway, the subtitle should look like this (it looks like this only when i pause the film)
    (compare with screenshot in my first post)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	correctpicture.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	13153
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by thinredline; 23rd Jul 2012 at 15:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you using to display the subtitles with MPCHC? MPCHC's support? ffdshow's support? Or DirectVobSub/VSFilter?

I haven't checked the subtitle file itself, but I suppose it's possible that what MPCHC is currently using to display the subtitles isn't exactly parsing something the way you're expecting it to.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hmmm.. i think i use MPCHC.
    (i have checked "auto-load subtitles").

but there are a dozen other subtitles exactly like this (appearing in banners, signs etc.), and only this has the problem of just quick flashing.

i was wondering if there is something that i should check or uncheck in MPC options.
    (eg. I had a problem with an abrupt fading of a subtitle, and that problem was solved when i ticked "allow animation when buffering")
    (or, I had a problem with errors in the position of the subtitles in signs, banners etc., and that problem was solved when I checked "position subtitles relative to the video frame")
    Quote Quote