VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello people,

Is there any quick answers on how to rip 3D Blu-Ray for streaming in 3D? Setting up a home theater and would like to put 3D content in my library for streaming to my 3D DLP projector. I have done alot of ripping normal DVD/Blu-Ray, but never 3D as I am just now getting into 3D.

I have found a couple threads here and there, but as of yet seems there may not be a way to do this.

Thanks for any helps any of you might have.

-Rodger
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, there are ways. First, we need to know more details about your DLP projector, PC, OS, video card, serving/playing application, and stored format of your 3D rips.
    Also, what are you envisioning when you talk about streaming?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply Scott.

I had about a year of fighting off active hacking against my home network, and in the process, I lost about 10 TB of my movie/video library. I will be rebuilding slowly, but since so much was lost, I am looking at newer (and hoperfully better) ways to stream media on my local network, but also over the internet. The main server I am looking at right now is PLEX. I am pretty impressed with its ability to stream across my network, internet, and chromecast. I have not adopted this as my server as of yet, since my media PC is down for repair and I am only testing PLEX on another computer currently. I am open to suggesting of course.

Primarily, I want to be able to stream my entire media library to my DLP, or any networked computer. I would like to be able to stream over the internet, but this isn't absolutely necessary. All of this I can do now with PLEX, but I am not sure I will be able to RIP 3D to my library and play it to my DLP in 3D.

I have encoded to many different formats and use MKV wrappers mostly over the years. But I would suppose new encodes with be H.264/AVC variants.

I haven't really done any encoding/ripping for over a year now. So I will be relearning as I lose what I don't use on a regular bases.

Here's my media equipment right now -

CPU - AMD FX-8350 @ 5.017Ghz@1.572v Stable on EK waterblock
    Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z on EK waterblock
    Graphics - ASUS DirectCU II HD7970-DC2OC-2GD5 on EK waterblock.
    RAM - 4 ea. Patriot Memory 2400EL Series 2 - 8GB total
    SSD (Boot) – 1 ea. SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW - 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC SSD
    RAID x 2 - 6 ea. 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" - 4@4TB RAID 10 (Protected Data), 2@4TB RAID 0 (Backup)
    Optical Drives (SATA) - 1 ea. LG Blu-ray 10x Burner
    Cooling - Custom Water Loop using 3 EK waterblocks, w/360 & 120 Rad, 8 push/pull 120mm silent fans - All AquaComputer tuned
    Power - OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply
    Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Computer Case
    Monitor - Seiki Digital SE39UY04 39-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV
    DLP - Acer H6510BD FHD 1920x1080 3D DLP Projector
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-1024-K 7.2 Channel 4K Ready AV Receiver
    Blu-Ray Player - Samsung - Smart 3D Wi-Fi Built-In B
    OS - Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks again for taking your time to help.

-Rodger
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since my media computer is still waiting for me to fix it, I can't be sure, but looks like ripping 3D blu-ray to iso with all files and structure intact is the first step. Next I would need a player that would output to 3D using HDMI to my 3D DLP projector. Seems this should work to me, but will have to wait until I have my computer up and running.

-Rodger
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The DLP projector you have uses Active 3D display format (aka double alternating framerate). So the signal coming out of the projector is (in USA/NTSC) 120Hz (actually 119.88Hz) showing L1-R1-L2-R2-L3-R3, etc. with the glasses views alternating in sync.
    From what the manual tells me, it looks like (as long as that model supports the HDMI 1.4a 3D spec) the DLP's supported 3D input formats are: double-framerate (rare) directly, HDMI 1.4 "frame packing", HDMI1.4 Half "Side-by-Side" and HDMI1.4 Half "Top-and-Bottom".

I'm guessing, but 99% sure, that PLEX will not do the 1st option nor the 2nd option. The 2nd option usually is only available to apps that read 3DBD discs (and ISOs), but PLEX barely supports 3D at all, and does NOT support ISOs at all.

If you want to continue to use PLEX, you will have to convert your 3DBD ISOs (and discs) to either Half-SbS or Half-TaB format. Using AVC in MP4 or MKV is a common option here. These variables should be determined by which looks best and which works smoothest with your DLP projector's "Plex client". You may have to do trial & error here, though I would start with the Half-SbS first as that seems to be the most common variety.

IIRC, MakeMKV, BDtoAVCHD, DVDFab and possibly others have ability to convert 3DBD ISOs to Half-SbS 3D MKVs. Note: your DLP PLEX player client and/or your PLEX server may require that you specifically name your file a certain way to clearly designate the 3D format, such as "myMovie.h-sbs", etc. in order for them to recognize it as 3D. Refer to your manuals and some good Plex website blogs on this.

If those don't work, you can skip going through PLEX and just output directly via a software player that supports double-framerate (incld. Nvidia 3DVision). Popular software 3D players include the 3 main 3DBD player apps: Corel WinDVD, Cyberlink PowerDVD, ArcSoft TMT. You should also try Stereoscopic Player, Bino, and PotPlayer as general media players that support 3D (and SHOULD be able to do double-framerate).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Scott for all the good info and thought/research you've put in you reply above. I think I will put all of this on hold until I have my media pc up and running again. I have the parts and will be rebuilding it over the next month or so, when I actually have the "place" built and ready for the entire entertainment center within the home theater itself. It will be interesting to work to resolve what I am hoping for and I do love a challenge. On a side note: Played my first 3D movie (Avatar 3D) in my unfinished theater through the DLP projector and Pioneer 7.1 sound system -- What a treat! 13 foot (approx.) screen size played on temporary drywall. Sounds was amazing as was the 3D. Bought 4 pair of the EStar America ESG601 DLP Link 3D Glasses. I do believe the 3D was better though these glasses then when I saw this movie a few year ago in IMAX. Really easy on the eyes and no feeling of eye pulling. Anyways, thanks Scott.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!