VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I need your help with the following problem:

I tried to record a gameplay of an old game (AoE). Its maximum resolution is 1024x768.
    I used Bandicam:

Video Format: H.264 (NVIDIA CUDA) (VBR) - Full Size, 60 fps, 100q
    Audio Format: MPEG-1 L2 - 48.0 kHZ, stereo, 192 kbs
    Output: .avi -1.8 Gb
    Length: 13:24
    Then, I compressed it with Handbrake (normal preset) and uploaded it on Youtube.
    The problem is that there are several horrible blurry areas, because Youtube resized the video to fit the 720p resolution.
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/67990

So I am trying to resize the video using VirtualDub before uploading.

-I installed the x264vfw codec
    -I used this rule as filter: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/HfQ9PHC.png
    -I left untouched any other option, except the compress codec (i selected the x264vfw codec).

The problem:
    -The music is synchronized, but the video is not. Frames are shown singularly (1 frame/second) or simply 59 frames are cut (i guess) because the video ends with the "correct" frames (always "lagging").

The questions:
    -What is the right resolution to upload it on youtube? I just want prevent that youtube resize it. 1366x768 or 1280x720?
    -What are the proper rules to compress and resize the video, using virtual dub? The previous attempts gave me a ~250 mb video and I'd love to have a similar weight.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
    Have a nice day.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The problem with Youtube isn't from resizing. It's from the low bitrates they use when re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok.
    At least can some one find out where are my mistakes using VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Some players don't like h.264 in AVI. Otherwise it sounds like what you did in VirtualDub is ok. I'd try resizing to 960x720 and adding borders to fill out a 1280x720 frame. That way you have control over the resizing filter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. To prevent YouTube resizing you resize it to 1280x720, and see if it is going to be better. Use 30fps, not 60fps (saving a bit bandwith also), because YouTube will drop frame rate anyway.

Looking at original you can see that grass is generated with some grid pattern but no way encoder could figure that one out. For encoder that grass is impossible to compress well enough, there is not enough bitrate (on Youtube), as soon you start to pan or something.

When you try to see 1920x1080 on Youtube, it is a nonsense if you upload lesser resolution. Not sure why YouTube would generate 1980x1080 if you upload lower resolution, I thought it creates max resolution close to original video resolution is. And if your original is 1024x768 it might make sense to upscale it in PC to 1280x720, but not to 1920x1080. You cannot make your video look better by just upscaling it. Well, in Youtube case it is not that entirely true, because higher resolution gets higher bitrate, but in your case, I think, it would not help at all to upscale it to 1920x1080.

edit: there was a nonsense here even my advice to make 16:9 above, while your video is 4:3 makes not much sense, I guess what jagabo says HD, 4:3 to pad it to 16:9
    Last edited by _Al_; 26th Mar 2014 at 15:41.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    -What is the right resolution to upload it on youtube? I just want prevent that youtube resize it. 1366x768 or 1280x720?
    Neither. I'd resize it to 960x720, without the extra padding. YouTube will play it in the correct aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some players don't like h.264 in AVI. Otherwise it sounds like what you did in VirtualDub is ok. I'd try resizing to 960x720 and adding borders to fill out a 1280x720 frame. That way you have control over the resizing filter.
    I tried another player and it worked like a charm.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    Neither. I'd resize it to 960x720, without the extra padding. YouTube will play it in the correct aspect ratio.
    Then, I'll try with/without the extra padding.

Thanks you all for the precious advices.
    Quote Quote