VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    [EDIT: I neglected to mention that this is the USB stick, not the PCIe card. I've also tried the Vista drivers.]

Installed this the other day using the newest drivers on the website and have been unable to get it working in either VirtualDub or the TotalMedia Theatre application.

I can see its Capture Filter tabs and the Capture Pin but that's about it. In GraphEdit, there is no "WDM Streaming Crossbar" for this device like there is for my ATI 600.

This is on both Win7 and an old WinXP laptop...
    Last edited by Brad; 12th May 2013 at 05:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i picked one up last year for the 12 bit processing and other capture cleansing features. but, the tvw750u seem to fail quickly due to over heating. so i opened mine up because i thought it might be something loose inside since something was jiggling around. anyway, that didn't fix my constant blue screen and freezing on my desktop pc, although on my netbook, i just get a black screen though without the netbook freezing. the chipset, the 'ati theater video' is very tiny and thin and gets very hot. i suspect mine just burned out. i may pick up another one since this burnout happend while i was testing it.. but gave up on it back then.. and got lazy and forgot about it and moved on.

under device setting of virtualdub or capture app, you should see this selection to capture from the tvw750u

* AVStream Analog Capture (DirecShow)

otherwise, try different virtualdub versions since not all will see every capture card/device.
    also, in my experience, i had to remove my ati-600 first, then reinstall the tvw750u.
    or, make sure previous capture sessions / windows / or graphs are completely closed.

Last edited by vhelp; 12th May 2013 at 17:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Okay, the drivers on the website are just screwed it seems. When I installed it using those the device was called AVStream Analog Capture in Device Management. Now I installed it with the CD drivers and it's called Hybrid TV Stick, exactly the same as the Diamond VC500. It's as if the top level of the driver was somehow missing.

Here is a copy of the driver folder from the Version 3 CD that mine came with.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's been so long since I installed this, but are you sure you even need the drivers? IIRC they can really cause a mess and it's better to just use the device without them. I never bothered to install them and have had no issues with mine and VDub. (Win 7 supports it natively at least, I believe).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It was an "Unknown device" without them, but I didn't attempt to do the Windows Update driver search method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so, did you get it to work then ?

my experience the other day was.. that when i connected my ati750, the chime was distorted, sort of like three or four fast (confused) dings, but the dev mgr was not yellow. it slipped by a hairline. however, the device, when connect to pin or preview, crashes my machine and i have to reboot. this has been one of those long and druewling waits for the os to come back up, trial and error, so many times. and this wares you out. its more the waiting time that wore me out with this problem. i may just pick up another one and start over. well, this is a hobby.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    It was an "Unknown device" without them, but I didn't attempt to do the Windows Update driver search method.
    I think it's all coming back to me now haha. Yes, it identifies one of them (ATI Unified AVStream Driver) under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers and installed the driver (Compro Technology, Inc. 6.14.10.404, 1/25/2011, Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher) then left one as an "Unknown Device" under other devices (examining it closely shows it's location as "on ATI Unified AVStream Driver"). That's how it all looks in my device manager now.

With that particular setup, I can capture with VDub (either the 32bit or 64bit) directly without any additional software -- Tuner, Composite, and S-Video show up as sources in the options and Video/Capture Filter brings up the adjustable proc amp, as well as the noise-reduction and comb-filter settings from the ATI 600 firmware (which are not adjustable).

It sounds like you got it to work too though -- so at least we know there are a few ways to skin a cat with this thing lol I just remember reading people having issues with the supplied drivers, especially if you used the tuner, so I just never bothered to install them and it's worked like a charm. I only capture in VDub these days though, so not sure if it would work in TotalMedia Theatre, I'll have to download and give it a whirl.
    Last edited by robjv1; 13th May 2013 at 17:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes vhelp it is working.

No Proc Amp adjustments directly from the filter page, but I can trick it by using Diamond's One Touch Video Capture app that came with the VC500. For the other page, the Comb Filter can't be set to 3D but the other settings all stick when I hit Apply. Whether they actually do anything, no idea. I have to use Preview mode in VirtualDub; Overlay results in just black. UYVY is the only pixel format.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Yes vhelp it is working.

No Proc Amp adjustments directly from the filter page, but I can trick it by using Diamond's One Touch Video Capture app that came with the VC500. For the other page, the Comb Filter can't be set to 3D but the other settings all stick when I hit Apply. Whether they actually do anything, no idea. I have to use Preview mode in VirtualDub; Overlay results in just black. UYVY is the only pixel format.
    Very interesting. I'm able to adjust the proc-amp settings (Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation, and Shaprness, the remaining ones are all greyed out) right in VDub. To my knowledge nobody has been able to get the settings to stick for the Comb Filter and Noise Reduction, so I'm not sure they are intended to be user adjustable for this particular device (there is some info about this in another thread on here, but I can't recall the details). I don't have any issue with the overlay mode -- it works fine in both preview and overlay. As far as UYVY -- same here.

Have you experienced any of the AGC problems? I've noticed there seems to be a variability among those that have issues with it. I just bought a second HD 750 USB stick as a backup, but I'm planning on running it through a lot of tests to see if I can reproduce the AGC problem, which doesn't seem to exist on my particular device/driver combo.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    The only thing I've captured so far is test patterns.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i assume you mean the agc with vhs sources. the agc artifacts are mainly 'flickering' or color washout/burnout or crushed whites/blacks or 'color fading' where you see brightness or levels dim'ing in and out, randomly. these are what i've seen mostly in my vhs captures. i suppose all these effects varies from vcr to vcr and capture card to capture card for each person. i mentioned once before, a vhs tape that shows these particular artifacts, the movie 'Galaxy Quest' has this problem. the color cannot lock on accurately. it is mostly burnout but does also 'flickers' randomly. another tape is, 'Jurassic Park'. same symtoms.

the other artifact (but that can be tamed, is 'curling', or some call it, 'flagging', at the top of the video. the advc, and some dvd recorders remove these with no problems. my toshiba dr430 does an excellent job of hadling this problem.

if you want to test the AGC issue, you should obtain at least one of these tapes so that you can thoroughly test and resolve if at all possible. i have many more tapes in my arson. but the agc is the most difficult and yet to be resolved. this is the one we should be working on.

one close solution to the agc issue that i fould to nearly work, is the 'digital video stabilizer', it seems to nearly remove all the 'flickering', except for the 'dimming' or fading in/out of the brighness. i also have the 'grex' device, but i haven't test it on this tape, not completely.

also, i find that when feeding these 'special' devices in between a dvd recorder, they have an adverse effect on the captures. they seem to make it worse, slightly. so, there are some comprimises at the moment.
    Last edited by vhelp; 14th May 2013 at 13:06.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i assume you mean the agc with vhs sources.
    Yup, I was referring specifically to those mentioned in these two threads:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326560-Which-is-better-usb-stick-vhs-cap-or-hd-pvr-...for-vhs-to-dvd
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/344643-Ati-theatre-750-vs-theatre-650

I've been using it for about a year, maybe a little longer at this point and watch all my captures from end to end and I've never observed those particular issues. As far as time, I'd venture that's about 60 to 80 hrs of VHS video footage tested. There have been a few cases where I've seen similar effects, but they all turned out to be false positives -- the tape demonstrates those same problems when pulled out of that capture chain.

My capture chain with the HD 750 is typically JVC SR-W5U VCR --> Sign Video Proc PA-200 Proc Amp --> Panasonic ES-10 DVD recorder (if needed) --> HD 750 capture USB stick.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Jurassic Park tape, I'll give that a try. Do you know which release of Jurassic Park you tested that on? I know I have the initial 1993 release (see below), but I don't have any of the subsequent VHS releases.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jurassic-Park-I-1993.jpg
Views:	5174
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	17842
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, that's the exact one! i have the original box in tact. this is the 'digitally mastered' version. i believe they are all dm'ed.

the agc symtoms are horible on that one. almost everything i threw at it, the same results, flicker and dimming in/out of brighness.

i wish i could find a decent low-price hardware pro amp device, but they are too expansive for my needs. but i have a pretty good method via utility i'm still working on that helps me out a lot. with the right combination of hardware i can fine-tune them for the best results. but this agc issue is crippling. also, it could be the vcr brand/model that helps too. i only have two to work with, a sharp and jvc.

yes, please test the jurissic park tape in your rig and post the results, image and sample lossless, please! ty..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    robjv1, have you tested without the ES-10 correcting the signal?

jagabo showed results from the 650 USB and has said that the 750 has the same problem, but did he test both the PCIe and the USB? The PCIe has a 3D comb filter while the USB doesn't, so we know they are different.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    robjv1, have you tested without the ES-10 correcting the signal?

jagabo showed results from the 650 USB and has said that the 750 has the same problem, but did he test both the PCIe and the USB? The PCIe has a 3D comb filter while the USB doesn't, so we know they are different.
    Oh yes, extensively, I'd say about 90% of the time. I almost never use the ES-10, I just included it so you knew what my potential workflow is in case we can find some other equipment similarities between those who have issues and those who don't.

As far as jagabo's results -- great question! I've only used the USB stick myself, plus as I said, using none of the drivers. I suppose if it is strictly a firmware type problem with the USB devices, none of that should make any difference though.

I've just ordered another one as a backup for the first, so we'll see if it displays the problems. It turns out I ordered the first one in June 2012, so I've been using it almost a year. I purchased mine from NewEgg both times using this link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815306019
    Last edited by robjv1; 14th May 2013 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    yes, that's the exact one! i have the original box in tact. this is the 'digitally mastered' version. i believe they are all dm'ed.

the agc symtoms are horible on that one. almost everything i threw at it, the same results, flicker and dimming in/out of brighness.

i wish i could find a decent low-price hardware pro amp device, but they are too expansive for my needs. but i have a pretty good method via utility i'm still working on that helps me out a lot. with the right combination of hardware i can fine-tune them for the best results. but this agc issue is crippling. also, it could be the vcr brand/model that helps too. i only have two to work with, a sharp and jvc.

yes, please test the jurissic park tape in your rig and post the results, image and sample lossless, please! ty..

That's an interesting point regarding the VCR -- I can't say I've seen the issue on my other regularly used VCRs either (just a couple of Omnivision Panasonics) but I don't have anything close to the hours of use over the last year on them to really make that statement with any confidence. I have a Panasonic AG-5710 that I'll be using on a particular run of LP tapes soon, so it'll get a workout with those at some point, so I'll report back. I also have a JVC SR-V101US deck, but I hardly ever use that.

As far as JP, I know I have that one on a shelf downstairs, no digging through bargain bins makes me a happy camper lol

That all sounds good, I'll snag it and post some images and lossless samples soon.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Okay, finally found my Jurassic Park tape, gonna run some tests now and post later.

I'm gonna give the movie a cursory look through the capture window, but did you want any specific scenes for testing that you found troublesome? I know the opening has lots of bright flashes and such that might screw with the AGC.

I got my second ATI 750HD btw and interestingly enough, unlike my other 750HD, it doesn't seem to recognize it when I plug it in, even though I have the drivers installed for the previous one... the plot thickens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    let me dig around to see if i still have my recent analog captures from a few weeks ago. i think i still have them.

there is the scene where the professor (in the white suite) is showing the others the lab and explaining his discovery, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sure, let me know! I'd like to do the most relevant ones.

I will say, so far I'm seeing no issues on a cursory glance on my original device. Still looking to test the new one, but it may be tricky. It's interesting -- my original June 2012 is plug and play as far as capturing with VDub (Windows found the drivers on the update site) but this new one has the symptoms described by users without installing the drivers (i.e. there are no sources for video listed).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the two versions of the tvw750u i have are both from china, except the cd discs are v1.0 and v3.1 respectively. i too have the same install trouble, it did not recignise and i had to install the drivers. unfortunately, neither one works. it seems that it may be related to the on-board nvidia graphics card i am stuck using. i think this device expects an ati card and may explain why they don't work.

the agc issue varies from vcr to vcr brand/make, and also different capture cards. devices in-between also affect the agc's performance. i found the best performance came from my sony trv22 dv cam -> toshiba dr430 -> capture card. results from the (dv cam and dr430) to different capture cards varied. some capture cards passed through w/out any agc issue. however, passing them the tbc or line-tbc (ie, toshiba dr430) sciewed results. also, found that the old cid sima device removed the agc but as soon as i added other devices in-btween, the agc came back in various forms. its a no-win scenario. you gain and loose, hence, comprimise on certain factors.

edit: i was using the scenes from aprox 30 minutes into the video, where the professor is outside and they are about to go inside to eat, and into the next scene where "they are here" the kids arrive and are running to great grandad (the professor) in the musium where the professor is walking down the spiral staircase. those are the three scenes i was capturing.

one more scene after the above three, where they are getting into the two vans. when you see the kid following the guy with the hat, he leaves his women (wife or girfriend) in the van, and the kid follows him. if you look at the winshield of the van he left, the women is still sitting in the van, but as the kid is still taking to the the gentalmen, you can't see through the vans windshield, but on my 25 year old ge tv, you can see through it, the women still sitting in the van.

this tape has the agc macrovision problem, brights are blown out, but this symtom varies from devices to devices. i will see about posting some xvid clips later tomorrow.
    Last edited by vhelp; 28th May 2013 at 01:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    unfortunately, i was not able to get my second ati tv wonder hd 750 to work, so i used other capture devices in these capture tests. i will post a few items up for view.

below, are examples of the agc issue having to do with: blown out whites.

(if your intensions are restoration, then, the best you can do with captured sources related to the AGC issue is to bring the color levels within the 16..235/240 range)

all the above images are from this path:

vcr -> trv22 dv cam -> /1/ -> toshiba dr430 -> /2/ pinnacle dvc100 -> UT codec

where: /1/ = svideo, and /2/ = composite

next, i will post an xvid of the dinner inside scene, it had a mixture of dark/light panning.

here is an xvid encoded video of the dinner inside.
    Last edited by vhelp; 28th May 2013 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote