VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just started playing with ULEAD's MovieFactory and I must say I'm underwhelmed with the quality of the DVD slideshow displayed via a DVD connected to my TV.

We use PAL here and I've twigged to the fact that I've got to carefully resize the images down to 720 x ??? (cant remember at the moment). Whilst the resizing improves things its only gone from terrible to mediocre.

Is this a codec thing??

Do I need something different than MovieFactory?

Is there and answer???

Your advice would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Buy ProShow Gold and be done with it. I bought on the guy's recommendation here and couldn't be happier.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Captain Satellite
    Buy ProShow Gold and be done with it. I bought on the guy's recommendation here and couldn't be happier.
    Thanks for your input. I've heard that Proshow Gold is good but does it actually have greater technical ability for producing high quality output or is it just a nice user interface?????
    Quote Quote  
  4. Proshow Gold will produce nice very high quality output. Tons of show options including multi-layers on a slide, import and incorporation of video options as well. Lots of audio control.

Best thing to do is check out the demo n their website and see if you like what it shows.

I use it all the time for everything from personal work (I did my wedding slide show/video with it and my wife was happy), to birthdays, retirements, weddings, bar-mitzvahs, etc. for other people on a professional level.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know your expectations, but a 8-10 megapixel downsized to 720x576 (< 0.5 megapixel), displayed on a TV won't look very good compared to the original pictures on your computer monitor, no matter how hard you try or what you use.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to agree with mats, it is never going to look great on a 40"-50" display. However, you can try google's picasa2, it will make a slideshow without downsizing your original photos and it's free. Try free first before you buy.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Picasa or no, if it's a compliant DVD slideshow, pics WILL be sized to the maximum that Mats spoke of. If you want to avoid this, then you have to use something other than a DVD-compliant slideshow. But that means that you have to abandon the idea of playing the slideshow on a standalone DVD player. So those are your choices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD output, you're stuck with 720 x 480/576.........no way around that.

I have an HDTV and a TVIX SH4100 that can play back 1080p. I've since been creating all my slideshows as 1080p or 720p and encoding them to H.264 with MeGUI / x264. Now the images from my DSLR's look fantastic on the TV.........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x
    For DVD output, you're stuck with 720 x 480/576.........no way around that.

I have an HDTV and a TVIX SH4100 that can play back 1080p. I've since been creating all my slideshows as 1080p or 720p and encoding them to H.264 with MeGUI / x264. Now the images from my DSLR's look fantastic on the TV.........
    racer, can you direct me to a guide as to how you do that? Create slideshows in 1080 or 720p. Thanks.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No guides that I know of. I'm thinking of doing one when I have some free time (not very often)...................

Basically, I Crop all images to 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720, depending on which resolution I'm going to do. I set up a 1080p or 720p project in Vages w/24 fps. You can do the same in Premiere or Wax2 (free). I import the images to the timeline and add effects, transitions and so on. I then frameserve out the timeline to an Avisynth script that converts it to YV12, the colorspace required by MeGUI. Then encode to H.264/aac-LC mp4. Again, you can also do this with Premiere and Wax2............

The quality is very high, especially with my high quality DSLR shots. My TVIX SH4100 has no trouble playing my H.264 files.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i love the slide show but the download to dvd is very poor. does anyone know how to improve this in a way us non-geeks can do ?
    cate
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please don't resurrect ancient threads. It's much better to start your own, and especially to provide some information besides "The thing I tried doesn't work." WHAT did you try? What are your expectations? Did you even read the whole thread you dug up?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by skchronmac
    i love the slide show but the download to dvd is very poor. does anyone know how to improve this in a way us non-geeks can do ?
    cate
    Be little more SPECIFIC!!

Download to dvd is very poor ??
    Improve what ??
    Quote Quote