VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to Convert Divx movies and burn them to VCD for a friend. It's been 4 years since i've done this so im no longer updated with newest softwares to use and steps to follow. What's the easiest way (less steps to follow) to do this? What software/s to use? Is there any software (all-in-one) that can convert the divx movies then burn them to vcd or at least convert them to vcd ready for burning in nero? Just a simple convert and burn would do.

I tried to convert using Mainconcept MPEG Encoder (choosing VCD in my configuration), but when i burned the converted movies I noticed that Nero transcode them again (a quick one with the movie preview moving fast) then when my friend played them in his vcd player the movies where playing but with a lot of skippings.
    hacking the Net using typewriter :D
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe.. But you can try this method: https://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/divxtovcd There is a freeware version of VCDEasy here: https://www.videohelp.com/download/VCDEasy_v1.1.5.2_Setup.exe TMPGEnc is freeware for MPEG-1 (VCD) use. VirtualDub is also freeware.

VCD's need to be authored, so there are usually a few steps from Divx>VCD. It may seem a bit complicated the first time, but should be easy after you have done a couple.

I wouldn't use Nero for any of this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I wouldn't use Nero for any of this.
    Ok i will try to use VCDEasy instead.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's my workflow for doing this (all tools are freeware, and Nero is used nowhere):

1) Use TMPGEnc to convert the Divx to VCD-compliant MPEG1. It's free for this purpose, and also has presets for this conversion. Just make sure that you've installed the Divx codec so that TMPGEnc can play the file. Under Settings, select "high quality." Highest quality takes much longer to encode, and I can't really see any difference, to be perfectly honest.

2) TMPGEnc often has trouble with the audio portion of the Divx file. If that happens to you, post back. The solution is usually to use AVIDemux to separate out the audio stream, and then to convert that separately if needed. The precise solution depends on the exact problem, so do post again if you run into an error message "......ACM..."

3) Use VCDEasy to author the result and generate bin/cue images.

4) Burn the images with your favorite burning software.

Another possible workflow is to use QMC (Quick Media Converter), which is sort of a Swiss Army Knife of multimedia. The quality of the output is ok, and the tool is easy to use (very few mouse clicks needed). Then use VCDEasy to author, and burn the result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how about Any Video Converter Free Version and Allok AVI MPEG WMV 3GP MP4 IPOD MPEG4 MOV FLV Video Converter can these programs convert my divx to VCD? could i use them to skip maybe the audio-extracting steps?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    2) TMPGEnc often has trouble with the audio portion of the Divx file. If that happens to you, post back. The solution is usually to use AVIDemux to separate out the audio stream, and then to convert that separately if needed. The precise solution depends on the exact problem, so do post again if you run into an error message "......ACM..."
    If there is no error message then everything is fine and i don't need anymore to use AVIDemux?

Can't I use VCDEasy in burning?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to burn in VCDEasy just fine. My LiteOn CD burner worked well.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by d_unbeliever

If it works, by all means! I happen to have a setup in which it does not, for some frustrating reason. But from lordsmurf's comment, it's quite likely that it's a problem with me, and not necessarily one with VCDEasy per se.

And as for your other question, re: AVIDemux, that's only needed if you encounter difficulty converting the audio. If the audio converts fine, then you can ignore that step. The presence of an error message is a sure sign that you need AVIDemux. The absence of an error message is a hopeful sign that AVIDemux is not needed, but it's not a 100% guarantee. I recommend converting a short segment first, then stopping the conversion and playing the result, just to check. If it looks good, restart and let the thing finish.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Maybe. VCDEasy uses an ancient program called CDRDAO for burning. CDRDAO hasn't been updated in years. It may work fine for you. It also may not work at all. It never worked for me on any burner I tried to use it on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98

Maybe. VCDEasy uses an ancient program called CDRDAO for burning. CDRDAO hasn't been updated in years. It may work fine for you. It also may not work at all. It never worked for me on any burner I tried to use it on.
    does VCDEasy v3.1.0 solved this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As folks said, the burning engine works for some, not for all. So, just try it yourself. If it works, great. If not, there are many other options for burning, and many of them are free. In the time taken to ask this question several times, you could have done a test burn (on CDRW if you didn't want to waste a disc) and found the answer yourself.

ImgBurn is what many folks around here use. It's under active development, so it's up to date. And it's free. As I mentioned earlier, my personal workflow does not use VCDEasy for burning -- only for authoring.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    got this message when i run VCDEasy v1.1.5.2 Freeware
    what does it mean?

"WnAspi32.dll" not found...
    The ASPI layer (required by CDRDAO) may be missing or not be installed correctly.

CDRDAO support disabled
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you have not encoded the mpg in TMPGEnc, use its mpeg tools and mux to mpeg-1 vcd-don't know what it does, but nero will not recode it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    got this message when i run VCDEasy v1.1.5.2 Freeware
    what does it mean?

"WnAspi32.dll" not found...
    The ASPI layer (required by CDRDAO) may be missing or not be installed correctly.

CDRDAO support disabled
    You can download wnaspi32.dll here:http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules/MP3DB/wnaspi32.dll

Even if you install it, CDRDAO may not work you. It doesn't matter what version of VCDEasy you use. CDRDAO will either work or it won't. If it works, that's great. If it doesn't work, you have to use another burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's my workflow for doing this (all tools are freeware, and Nero is used nowhere):

1) Use TMPGEnc to convert the Divx to VCD-compliant MPEG1. It's free for this purpose, and also has presets for this conversion. Just make sure that you've installed the Divx codec so that TMPGEnc can play the file. Under Settings, select "high quality." Highest quality takes much longer to encode, and I can't really see any difference, to be perfectly honest.

4) Burn the images with your favorite burning software.
    I followed these steps. Used ImgBurn in burning my image file. Played the burn VCD in my pc and everything works fine. No skipping in videos nor sound. But when my friend played it in his VCD player, there were a lot of skipping. What I am missing here?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Attached is a script compiled with ffmpeg & vcdimager that i use to convert my divx files to VCD. Extract and drag your avi/divx to the MakeVCD icon and sit back and wait for it to spit out your video.cue & videocd.bin files ready for imgburn.

Your info says you have WinXP SP1 so i can't confirm it works or not please let me know. Tested with Vista and OK.

makevcd.zip
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM

I followed these steps. Used ImgBurn in burning my image file. Played the burn VCD in my pc and everything works fine. No skipping in videos nor sound. But when my friend played it in his VCD player, there were a lot of skipping. What I am missing here?
    Possibly nothing at all. There are several things that can cause skipping. One is that the player might simply not like burned media (which have different characteristics from factory-made discs). The most common contributing factor by far is a marginal burn. That can be due to not-great media, or excessive burn speed (or a combination of the two). If you're using bargain-brand bulk discs, that can happen very easily. Unlike data discs or audio CDs, VCDs sacrifice a lot of error correction in exchange for longer play time. This tradeoff makes VCDs much less tolerant of burn problems, scratches and fingerprints. I find that burning no faster than 8x helps a great deal, although not nearly as much as using good media (I generally use only Taiyo-Yuden, bought in bulk long ago). Marginally burned discs might play ok in some players, and not well in others (not all players are created equal). A well-burned disc will play without complaint on most drives.

If media/burning isn't the problem, then there might be a minor problem with the structure of the mpeg file. In that case, what often fixes things is to use TMPGEnc's MPEG tools to demux the MPG you fed to VCDEasy, and then to remux. Seems silly, but this ritual quite often fixes many sins. Re-author the newly muxed MPEG in VCDEasy, making sure that you've made the right choice of NTSC or PAL (VCDEasy will issue a warning if there's a mismatch between your choice and the parameters of the MPEG file). Test the .bin file, and then burn.

Congratulations on getting this far -- you're almost done!
    Quote Quote