VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, This is my first post here. I am having a problem... I have tried hooking up my pc to my receiver using hdmi from my 7970 and I tried the optical out on my motherboard (Asus crosshair v formula - z) both result in 2 channel audio. I have been messing around with this and searching for an answer online for hours and I am getting beyond frusterated. In the properties tab of my device it recognizes it as supporting 8 channels. Any Ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried different video/audio players so you can set audio pass through? Like MPCHC, VLC Media player etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Make sure the audio decoder is set to "pass through", not downmix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies. After couple hours after posting that I got it to work in surround finally but it will automatically go back to two channel when I shut the receiver off and turn it back on. I did turn passthrough on with no luck. So I ran a separate HDMI to the receiver but it still does the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, I just double checked and passthrough was set to auto not on. Set it to on and now the surround stays setup! Thanks guys. Do you think I should keep it set up this way or should I run my video through the reciever. Would that cause lag when playing a game?4
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nevermind, Now my sub barely works this way... I give up PC's make surround way way too difficult unless you buy a standalone setup.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The biggest "difficulty" is that many people ASSUME that all audio can be used as "surround sound". ALL Windows audio, mp3's, and many videos are only stereo. For surround sound to work properly, the source needs to be true sound (ie: movie DVD's, many games, etc.).

Also, in regards to gaming, for best results you need to use analog outputs as most audio chipsets can't encode and output digital surround audio from non digital sources.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    The biggest "difficulty" is that many people ASSUME that all audio can be used as "surround sound". ALL Windows audio, mp3's, and many videos are only stereo. For surround sound to work properly, the source needs to be true sound (ie: movie DVD's, many games, etc.).

Also, in regards to gaming, for best results you need to use analog outputs as most audio chipsets can't encode and output digital surround audio from non digital sources.
    I understand the difference between the signals. Where the difficulty comes in is with the inconsistent results and the PC forgetting that it is set up that way depending what device (TV,Stereo,PC) was turned on/off first/last... That doesn't happen with a PS3 it just works. I was hoping to use my PC and have it be my one device and still retain 5.1... I gave up and am now using 2.1 channel with zero problems.With it set to 5.1 the sub was so quit that you had to put your ear next to it to notice it was on. With the PC set to 2.1 or any of my other devices set to 5.1/2.1 the sub is loud.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by xNinja83x View Post
    Where the difficulty comes in is with the inconsistent results and the PC forgetting that it is set up that way depending what device (TV,Stereo,PC) was turned on/off first/last...
    Thank plug-and-play. Too bad you can't just lock the configuration.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by xNinja83x View Post
    Where the difficulty comes in is with the inconsistent results and the PC forgetting that it is set up that way depending what device (TV,Stereo,PC) was turned on/off first/last...
    Thank plug-and-play. Too bad you can't just lock the configuration.
    Agreed, Then I would only need to figure out why the sub is so quiet on he PC when it is set at 5.1 and I would be set.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not a Plug and Play issue as this issue is with HDMI.

In any event, I can't explain why the settings would be lost after shutdown. And it sounds like a bug/glitch with your PC. I know a few people using HDMI audio output and they don't have to deal with this issue. Have you tried manually updating your video drivers? ..or even going back to an older version?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Not a Plug and Play issue as this issue is with HDMI.
    PnP detects HDMI devices just like any other hardware.
    Quote Quote