VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi All,

I normally watch videos (all formats except: mkv and MP4 are playable) using my Samsung DVD player and the TV.

Normally, it loads the videos and subtitles properly but for certain movies it do not load the subs. But the movies load in VLC properly. I keep the file names same and put the files in the same folder and play through the USB. I checked all the controls in the DVD players but it will just not load the subs. And it happens only to some videos not all.

Is there any way to rectify this error with the DVD player?

I tried many workarounds on the video. I tried to embed the subs using Virtualdub but it takes a lot of time and plays with the quality of the video.

I found the software ConvertXroDVD to be useful here. It converts the file to DVD with embedded subs and improves the video quality. But it also takes a long time.

Is there any quicker or easier way to embed the subs into the video?

Regards,

Faith
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a subtitle expert but you'll need to provide more information so that others that are can help.

Please list the model number of the dvd player you are using.

Please also list the subtitle format that you are working with.

Please also mention the working combination of video and subtitles.

It is most likely that somebody will suggest that you convert the non working subtitles to another subtitle format that will work. However as we do not know what type of subtitles you are using nor which subtitles do work for you we can't offer too much assistance other then generalities - as I'm doing right now.

Edit - oh and mp4 and mkv are just containers. divx/xvid and h264 are examples of the actual codec that makes up the video. Chances are you are using divx and xvid and probably in a avi container. That is the most common combination for dvd players as I understand it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your subtitles are SRT format (or even IDX/SUB, though that'll take a little more work), and you can watch DivX/Xvid AVIs on your player, you can use AVIAddXSubs to mux the subtitles into the AVIs. You'll still be able to switch the subtitle display on and off with your remote.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Ai Haibara.

Excellent piece of application. This can do the job within 2-3 minutes. No difference in quality. Lot of options to control rendering.

This makes the subtitles much more readable, I think I should process all the videos before viewing for better readability.

Thanks very much.

God bless you!

Faith
    Quote Quote  
  5. A feature of AviAddXSubs that is often overlooked is the ability to select a font for the subs. I have a WD set top box. I downloaded a bunch of fonts from a free font site. Anything I thought might look good with subs. Esp. where WD idx/sub support doesn't allow colors, the font itself can make a big difference. Also adjusting font size, placement and width etc.. helps readability.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote