VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have this new Asus G73J, which came only with a DVD-RW, since I have a Gateway NV59C that I don't use anymore I took the BD-ROM and put into the Asus.

Once I booted up the computer Windows (7, 64bits) automatically installed the optical driver as "MASHITA DVD-RAM UJ880AS ATA Device"

I spent more than 20 hours looking for a driver/firmware or whatever instructions I could find to get this to work and read my Blu-Ray Discs, but no luck!

It reads DVD and CD, burns both, it just won't read BD!

I wondered for a second if this optical drive exchange is something that can't be done, but I can't think of reason why not!

Any input would be much appreciated!

Here's a picture of the optical driver where we can read the model and everything:

PS. I noticed it was manufactured by Panasonic, so I also looked on their website but found nothing!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried using ImgBurn to see if it recognizes the BD part of the drive? If you are using Nero, Nero is rather infamous for needing to be updated/reinstalled when changing burners.

I found a link that talked about a somewhat similar problem and it referenced a Microsoft site with a dead link so I'm not going to point you to it as it would be completely useless without the correct Microsoft link.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply!

I had Nero Burning Rom installed. I removed and installed ImgBurn, but didn't do anything for me!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So what software are you using to try and read blu-ray ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you certain that this is a BD-ROM drive? Panasonic's website says that model UJ-880A is a slot-loading DVD Disc Writer, and BD is not listed amongst its compatible media. http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/optical-drives/dvd-slim-writers/uj-880a.aspx

The list of slim BD drives at the same Panasonic website don't show anything with a model number close to your drive's model number. The model number listed for the only BD combo drive is UJ-135A.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Great catch, usually_quiet. I can kick myself because the ID for the drive the OP listed clearly states "DVD-RAM" and no BD drive would have that as a designation.

ibyslocumb- It's NOT a BD drive, so that's why you can't burn BD discs.
    Last edited by jman98; 12th Jul 2012 at 18:29. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But didn't the OP say he took this drive out of another unit ?. I would have assumed he could atleast play Blu-ray in that one with the drive.

I'll take you guys word that the model no does not match BD specs but something does not add up here if the above is correct.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The specs for the Gateway NV59C list two options for the optical drive. http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2010/gateway/nv/nv59C/NV59Csp2.shtml Option 1 is a BD combo drive that burns DVDs and CDs, and reads BDs. Option 2 is a CD and DVD burner.

The OP did seem sure his Gateway notebook had a BD combo drive, but now it seems likely that his memory played a trick on him. It happens to nearly everyone now and then.
    Quote Quote  
  9. exactly, DB83!

On my Gateway I used to read BD all the time!

It's not about the software I'm trying to use to watch the blu-ray discs because the disc doesn't even show, it shows as an empty drive!

There HAS to be a way to use a BD driver from a notebook in another, it HAS to, right or am I crazy!?

Thank so much for all you guys inputs!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. and usually_quiet, yes, I had seen that on Panasonic web site, I also thought it was weird.. but I can ASSURE you, I used to read BD all the time, perfectly!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing to check, assuming the drive from the Gateway NV59C is original equipment. Does the optical drive's bezel have any printing or engraving on it? (The bezel is the part of the drive that is visible on the outside when the drive is installed.) If it does, the Blu Ray logo should be present somewhere if the drive reads Blu-Ray discs. If the only logos are the DVD logo and/or RW Alliance logo, that is another indication that you have a DVD-only drive.
    Quote Quote  
  12. yep1

take a look:
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at several listings at websites selling Panasonic UJ-880A drives, and none of them mentioned Blu-Ray. BD-ROM combo drives for notebooks are not cheap, and were even more expensive early on. Is there any chance your notebooks was in a situation where someone could have replaced the drive with a different one?
    Quote Quote  
  14. no, definitely NOT! this notebook was always with me, ALWAYS!

That's all really, really weird, right?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it does seem strange. If the Gateway still works, and you haven't uninstalled the drivers, you could put the drive back in the Gateway to see if it reads Blu-Ray discs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. My Gateway is not turning on anymore! I think the mother board got fried or something...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well IMHO it IS about software.

I have a BD-combo in this PC. I can not read a blu-ray from Windows explorer(reports un-recognised format) but that same disk will play with the correct software ie PowerDVD Ultimate.

To read a blu-ray from within Windows Explorer you need a driver - not for the drive but for the disk format. I forget the actual term right now.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I just noticed that this optical driver only has one lens. My brother's VAIO has a BD-ROM/DVD-RW combo also and his has two!

Is it possible for a combo drive like mine to have only one lens?

I'm actually remembering that my brother sent this computer to a repair shop after the mother board got fried and I was away on a trip. After a few days they emailed me saying they didn't have the replacement in stock. In the end I got this new Asus that I use now, so... Only about a month later I got it back and now I can't play BD! Okay that I'm trying to use the drive in another notebook... but still!

Now it all adds up. The model number that the Panasonic website shows as being a DVD-RAM, one lens, the computer not recognizing... It's so true, optical drives rarely needs drivers these days!

I'm realizing those fuckers replaced my drive assuming I wouldn't even bother checking since they knew I had gotten a new notebook, and the fact that I took my time to go back there to get the Gateway back!

I'd just like to make sure, before I go there barging in tomorrow, that it is in fact, impossible for a BD-ROM/DVD-RW combo to have only one lens! Anyone knows about that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may be having a blonde moment but isn't that photo from #13 your drive ?

By all means ignore the questions that are asked. I am sure you will not then mind if you do not get the help you want. But I will ask just once more and I will re-phrase it this time.

Name the software - as precisely as possible - that the Asus plays dvds.

Reason: The sofware probably came pre-installed. If the Asus only had a dvd-rom they will pre-install a basic player that will only play dvds. Makes sense doesn't it ?

And re-read post #18. Yes, I can not read from my blu-ray drive EXCEPT with software that can read blu-rays.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The Panasonic website may not be entirely accurate. If you look under discontinued drives, there is a "UJ-815-B" drive. It is listed twice. Once as a DVD drive, once as a Blu-Ray.

Gateway has in the past used hardware that has been modified from the original model, creating a special variation just for them. It does usually have a different model number.

That front bezel with the logo is easily removable and replaceable.

The way the hardware identifies under Windows is not a reliable indicator of what it really is.

At this point I would get back to Gateway and try to determine what model number of drive the PC originally shipped with. If it is different from what came back from the repair shop, I would call them and state that the next phone call is to the police. Have some upgrades in mind for the replacement laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A BD drive has two lenses. One is for the red laser CD/DVD laser, and the other is for the blue-purple BD laser.

I looked at the Gateway NV59C service manual last night. Yes, the optical drive bezel on your laptop is easily removed and could be used with another drive. That is why I said "assuming the drive from the Gateway NV59C is original equipment".

If you can get documentation for the drive model originally installed by Gateway, and/or the drive serial number and what you have now is not the same, then you will know that the original drive was replaced. However, the repair shop was not the only party to have possession of your Gateway laptop while you were away. Is there any possibility that your brother borrowed the drive before he took the laptop to the shop for repair and forgot to tell you? There had to be a reason why he was using your laptop in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Oh no, my idiot of a a brother wouldn't even know how to open a computer! I'm trying to get Gateway to confirm the model of the optical drive in my notebook... But they just keep jerking me around!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How can you actually tell that a drive has only one lense without opening it up ?

I find this whole theory of a drive being changed without your knowledge (or consent) too incredible for words.

But I guess you are convinced this had happened. Convinced that the software in the new notebook should play blu-ray regardless though the drive supplied would not. But I also guess I am wasting my time on this topic. I may be wrong in my assumptions but it is also a matter of politeness to answer ALL the questions raised.

Bye !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The matshita uj880a is made for asus laptops. It does not have BD capability.

http://burners.burn4free.com/matsushita-matshita-panasonic/matshita-uj880as.htm
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went to Gateway's website hoping to see a way to look up information about the specific items installed in an individual computer based on its serial number, like Dell provides. There wasn't any. Gateway may not know anything about what is installed in an individual computer. Are there any additional letters in the Gateway laptop's model number? Those additional letters may indicate what is supposed to be included with the laptop.

Gateway may have used drives from various sources that met the published spec.

Here is one picture of a used BD ROM laptop drive for your Gateway model from Panasonic. The model number is UJ141 ALAA-A
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-NV59C-NV59-UJ141-DVDRW-BluRay-sata-Drive-BD-ROM-/26105...item3cc81a7186

This is another one, from Pioneer, with the model number BDC-TD03RS
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-NV59-Series-NV59C56u-BD-ROM-BDC-TD03RS-Blu-Ray-Drive-C...item2571fff690

[Edit]Thinking for a moment about what Gabriel said in the post above, what did you do with the drive you removed from your ASUS laptop? It might be worth a second look.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Jul 2012 at 12:34.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    The Panasonic website may not be entirely accurate. If you look under discontinued drives, there is a "UJ-815-B" drive. It is listed twice. Once as a DVD drive, once as a Blu-Ray.
    No, you misread the numbers in the discontinued list. UJ-815-B is the Blu-ray Drive. UJ-825-B is the DVD drive.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Guys, I used to play BD ALL the time on my Gateway, I purchased this notebook because it played Blu-Ray!

Now the optical drive doesn't! Searching the model number on the drive I get results stating this is NOT a BD-ROM/DVD-RW, I firstly thought it was a mistake on the Panasonic website. But now I can see there is only one lens!

And, DB83, to see how many lenses the optical drive on your notebook has, it pretty easy, you just have to open the tray and look!

I just got back from the repair shop. The guy said they sent it to another division so he's gonna get in touch with them and get back to me on Monday, but he said they wouldn't do such a thing!

I emailed Gateway requesting the model and serial number of the optical drive that was in the notebook when I purchased, I really hope they can retrieve that info, otherwise it will be hard to prove!

I might be wrong about the repair shop scheming me, but I'm certainly not wrong about having played BD on this drive before, I'm not crazy. So, if they didn't replaced it, this is the weirdest thing ever!

Anyone out there can confirm if is it possible to a BD-ROM/DVD-RW combo to have only one lens? I don't think so...

Quote Quote  
  28. I just received an e-mail from Gateway with the specifications:

ODD BLU-RAY COMBO SATA 4X 12.7MM TRAY DL 4X PANASONIC UJ141AL LF W/O BEZEL SATA WINDOWS 7

Those fuckers definitely stole my drive and replaced with a regular DVD-RW!
    Last edited by igbyslocumb; 13th Jul 2012 at 18:31. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by igbyslocumb View Post
    I just received an e-mail from Gateway with the specifications:

ODD BLU-RAY COMBO SATA 4X 12.7MM TRAY DL 4X PANASONIC UJ141AL LF W/O BEZEL SATA WINDOWS 7

Those fuckers definitely stole my drive and replaced with a regular DVD-RW!
    Before you go any further, double-check that there was no mix-up on your end. If you still have it around, look up the drive make and model for the ASUS laptop drive that you replaced and find out what kind of drive it is, just to be sure you didn't accidentally put the original ASUS drive back in. I know something like that would be unlikely to happen, but it never hurts to be sure.
    Quote Quote