VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hello everyone.

i was wondering if anyone knows how to extract *all* of outlook's emails into a file, (csv or other) that i can import into an ms access database ?

this is so that i can do a better and quicker search for missing emails. i also have many emails that i drag into the left pane window into folders that i catagorize. i received hundreds of emails a week. maybe there is a place where a separate file is stored and i have to take that and decode it. if that is the case, hopefully there is a tool that knows how to decode the file so that i can import it into access database.

i am using two computers, one with office 2003 and another as office 2010.

thank you in advanced!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Outlook emails are already in a "database": a PST or OST file (usu. hidden in a User subdir). What you need is a "connector" that can read the file natively and map it to how Access works so Access can access it. There is an "ODBC" driver that allows this and it includes a number of common database languages/protocols/formats. If Outlook connectivity isn't natively built-in, there should be a plugin for it.

With it, your email elements (to, from, cc, bcc, subject, body text, priority, datestamp, etc) can be mapped to fields that Access can directly manipulate in a standard Query (without having to convert/import).

Have done this a number of times so I know it works (well, at least with v2000, 2003, 2007 when I last attempted). Note that you will need to also have the info for user privileges (username, pwd, etc)-dependiing upon your setup this is sometimes persistently remembered, sometimes not.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you.

i will look into that tomorrow. hopefully, i will be able to do something. i really just need for searching through things. thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Outlook can export to a file, and there are numerous options (one of which is MS Access).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi vhelp ,

Under XP , in the "Outlook Express's" folder there are many .dbx files .

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{7188C653-6DB4-4093-B56D-7C575FED5F26}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    Cheers .
    JE SUIS CHARLIE !!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @aazerty, the OP was asking about Outlook, not Outlook Express. There is a big difference in their architecture & operation, (especially) including the file format and location of the user data. What you posted might be helpful to someone needing OE, but to vhelp this is useless.

Scott
    Quote Quote