VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As a new user I posted this wrongly in the list of DVD players !
    Could someone possibly provide a hack for my DVD player. It is on the list but no hack is given. It is Currys C1DVD11
    (I want to buy the biopic of Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue but it is only available as a region 1 DVD)

Hope someone can help
    Val
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    easier to buy the region 1 version, decrypt the dvd to the hard drive and use dvdshrink to make a region free copy.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. My link to this forum was via google. A guy recommended it saying that it was simple to make a DVD player region free in only a few seconds using the remote and a simple hack. This suits me as I am a technophobe and anything more complicated would be beyond me. The reply to my question could have been in Chinese - I hadn't a clue !!! Please someone, if possible give me clear instructions or just say it can't be done
    Many thanks
    Val
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Layla88 View Post
    As a new user I posted this wrongly in the list of DVD players !
    Could someone possibly provide a hack for my DVD player. It is on the list but no hack is given. It is Currys C1DVD11
    (I want to buy the biopic of Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue but it is only available as a region 1 DVD)

Hope someone can help
    Val
    If the player is on the DVD Hacks list without a hack, it means there is no hack available for it here. I think when a new model is added to the DVD Players list, it automatically goes on the DVD Hacks list as well, and a hack can be filled in at a later date if someone discovers one. For future reference, you should not post on the DVD Hacks unless you have a hack to share, or have a question/comment about an existing hack.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The truth instead of the misleading stuff you were told is that SOME (note that "some" does NOT mean "all") DVD players can be made region free by entering a code. Many cannot. It seems that no such code exists for your player. Sorry. You'll either need to buy another DVD player that really can be made region free or (better idea) do what aedipuss says.

Many people remember 5+ years when most European DVD players could easily be made region free this way, but times have changed and now many players can't be made region free at all.

Not to confuse you, but you do need to understand that region 1 DVDs are in NTSC format. Even if you get around the region coding issue, you will need a TV that can handle an NTSC signal or a DVD player that can output a signal your TV can handle from NTSC DVDs. I'd say there's maybe a 95% chance in the UK that you'll be fine with a region free NTSC DVD. Note too that you can just install the free VLC player software on your PC and use it to watch the DVD on a PC as VLC ignores region codes and you won't have to do anything but just play the disc with it on a PC to watch it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank-you jman and aedipuss
    I've been waiting years to watch this film. I'll have to keep a closer eye on the tv listings in the hope that it is shown again - then I can record it.
    Val
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want to buy the biopic of Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue but it is only available as a region 1 DVD
    I see it (1945 movie) on Ebay as R0 (all regions) from the USA, and also a Spanish R2 version. That is what they claim, anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thank-you jman and aedipuss
    I've been waiting years to watch this film. I'll have to keep a closer eye on the tv listings in the hope that it is shown again - then I can record it.
    Val
    Did you even READ what I wrote? I told you how you could watch that TODAY on your PC. If you're not going to pay attention to what you are told then I'm done here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or, you could read what aedipuss wrote and hack the movie itself, making a region-free DVD-R copy. You can decrypt it to your computer hard drive (stipping off region restrictions) with DVDFab. From there, you can burn it to a DVD disc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank-you Case. I used to check regularly on eBay but there was only occasionally the odd reg 1 or a VHS. However it's obviously been reissued as there are now a few region free ones which solve my problem. Jman, was it it really necessary to be quite so rude? I did in fact READ your post but you obviously did not read mine as there was no way I could watch it TODAY as I have not yet purchased it. I also tend only to use my pc for writing documents and spread sheets etc - things that need a printer. It is not in a room where I would want to watch a film. For Internet and email I use my iPad. You are obviously quite young and male with no patience for the vagarities of older ladies (I am 67)
    Anyway thank-you all for trying to help. I am very impressed with this site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank-you Case. I used to check regularly on eBay but there was only occasionally the odd reg 1 or a VHS. However it's obviously been reissued as there are now a few region free ones which solve my problem. Jman, was it it really necessary to be quite so rude? I did in fact READ your post but you obviously did not read mine as there was no way I could watch it TODAY as I have not yet purchased it. I also tend only to use my pc for writing documents and spread sheets etc - things that need a printer. It is not in a room where I would want to watch a film. For Internet and email I use my iPad. You are obviously quite young and male with no patience for the vagarities of older ladies (I am 67)
    Anyway thank-you all for trying to help. I am very impressed with this site.
    How lame!
    Don't you even grasp the explanation of "being rude"?
    With such an "useful" topic title as yours I fear you have no clue at all.

All posters gave you more than useful hints, but you failed to read them carefully...at first stage.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote