VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I searched around but I could not find a USB 3 Analog to Digital capture device such as the Hauppauge USB-Live-2 Video Capture.
    They were all USB 2.0. Does one exist and would it be better to use it rather than a USB 2.0 device?

Thanks,

Ray
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rayjVideo View Post
    I searched around but I could not find a USB 3 Analog to Digital capture device such as the Hauppauge USB-Live-2 Video Capture.
    They were all USB 2.0. Does one exist and would it be better to use it rather than a USB 2.0 device?

Thanks,

Ray
    The Hauppauge USB-Live-2 is a standard definition capture device. USB 3.0 would not provide a better result for standard definition capture. USB 2.0 is enough for standard definition capture, even uncompressed video. You would only need USB 3.0 for uncompressed high-definition capture.

[Edit]There are a couple of USB 3.0 high definition capture devices. The Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle is really finicky, and the AVerMedia ExtremeCap U3 is very new. Both are significantly more expensive than the Hauppauge USB-Live-2 and demand far better hardware for high-definition capture.
    http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-Intensity-Computers-Professional/dp/B003WSQTWU
    http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-ExtremeCap-U3-Capture-Uncompressed/dp/B00G9QTUVE/ref=s...=1391030776&sr
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jan 2014 at 15:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by rayjVideo View Post

Thanks,

Ray
    The Hauppauge USB-Live-2 is a standard definition capture device. USB 3.0 would not provide a better result for standard definition capture. USB 2.0 is enough for standard definition capture, even uncompressed video. You would only need USB 3.0 for uncompressed high-definition capture.
    I guess I forgot to include the most important information. I want to use my HD video camera as a webcam to experiment with WebRTC and High Definition video connections. What would be the best device to use considering price.

Thanks,

Ray
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what the best device would be for your purposes. The two mentioned in my original post's edited section capture uncompressed video, which would have to be compressed in real time for streaming. Other external HD capture devices hardware encode their output to H.264 and for that reason can use a USB 2.0 connection.
    Quote Quote