VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to download & play .mov files from two different cameras on to my computer. When I try to play them on my computer I get this error: "Error -1856: An Unknown error occurred."

They play fine on the cameras themselves. What could be wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen this a number of time, usually with 3gp and mp4. The problem is usually the recording device for some unknown reason fails to save the recording correctly, or corrupts the file. The next question, how to fix it? Some have succeeded in fixing the headers by using a hex editor and replacing the one in the corrupt file with one from a working file created on the same device. Just google "how to repair an mp4 file" and see it's a real issue with no real solution.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With what are you playing the files with on the system ?

Firstly, transfer the files to the system rather than playing them back from the camera via pc ... problems such as these are more likely to show themselves ... once done check if they play ok on the system.

The error is uncommon but may be related to itunes / quicktime ... a communication between devices problem ... at a guess Id say there may have been an issue with data sync and the playback software on the pc registered the camera data stream as having stopped or disconnected ... if itunes / quicktime was used Id suggest reinstalling the applications and reboot the system and try again ... but only after trying the transfer as mentioned before.
    Quote Quote