VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. what is the Best software to filter noise in audio?

I use wavepad and I filter out the noise in this way:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	99655408.jpg
Views:	6270
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	13378

I just play with it from what I hear.

is there are more correct way?
    Last edited by gil900; 7th Aug 2012 at 11:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's like asking "what's the best software"? - FOR WHAT PURPOSE?
    With noise - WHAT KIND OF NOISE?
    There's:
    1. Steady-state/random noise (Broadband Noise, Narrowband-Hiss, Narrowband-Rumble)
    2. Impulse noise (Pops, ticks, crackles, fizzing, scratching)
    3. Pre- and Post- echos & overlay (bleed) from other tracks
    4. Distortion & clipping (not really noise, but some non-audio people wish to treat it as such)
    5. "Pumping" noise (noise bed modified by AGC - very hard to remove)
    6. Background/Ambient/Environment sound elements that are not balance with foreground/intended sound (again, not really "noise", but treated as such)
    7. Harmonic Noise (hum, buzz, EMI/RFI)
    8. Noise & EQ degradation imposed by old analog media + equipment
    9. Noise/Distortion imposed by digital compression

There's an appropriate tool (or more than one) for each of these kinds of things, and NO SINGLE TOOL solves them all. Certainly not Goldwave.
    Me, I prefer, specialized plugins for ProTools, Audition, Soundforge, etc., because often what needs to be done is NOT a simple edit job (and so needs a narrowly specialized tool), but also often needs additional edit work that only a good Audio editing app can help with. (I say from having done years of forensic work)

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th Aug 2012 at 13:08.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, as mentioned above it really depends on what type of problem you are experiencing. You need to be careful the way you are going about it that you don't inadvertently push the audio DB up too high to where it starts clipping with your 'on the fly' method.

What is your source format and what are the issues?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Wave arts restoration suite http://wavearts.com/products/

the Noise filter especially, you need an host program that support AU, MAS, VST, or RTAS plugins (audacity freeware does i think ?)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Izotope RX is the "best".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I've been using Adobe Audition 3.1 which has some great restoration filters built-in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what's "best", but I use Audacity.

See http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Noise_Removal

Your screenshot shows a low pass filter. Audacity's "noise removal effect" is certainly better than that.
    Of course, you can do low/high/notch filters in Audacity too.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Another very good option is Reaper's "reafir" plugin, which can do excellent noise/hiss reduction.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok after I tried your suggestions, I figured the best thing for me is to work with the graph (like the picture I showed) and with my senses.

I do not think there is a filter or plugin smarter than me
    My best settings:
    [Attachment 13400 - Click to enlarge]

EDIT
    Ok I've succeededto find the specific point with the noise ..
    [Attachment 13401 - Click to enlarge]

Does anyone is work this way?

edit:
    Wow that's incredible!
    Hard to believe but I can hear other voices of talking (Words) I could never hear before!
    It's as to extract hidden information from the audio. i hear a new word from pepole now.
    unbelievable
    Last edited by gil900; 8th Aug 2012 at 20:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like you're just filtering using graphic/parametric EQ. Not a bad way to do things, but that only gives you static adjustments. Lots of extra help can be given when EQ is applied in different ways to different dynamic/volume levels. Plus, there's things that can be done with phase, pitch, delay that can come in handy as well.
    That means that a filter/plugin may not be more discerning than you, but by being more exacting, and more manipulatable, it can be more responsive than you, and in many ways that translates to being "smarter".
    At this point, it's probably your experience (or lack) that is getting in the way of it sounding better. But if that's good enough for you, then great!

And yes, when you start clearing away the dross, you can find lots of gold in them thar' hills.

Scott
    Quote Quote