VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this is the right forum..

I began backing up my small DVD collection and moving files over to one of my external drives. Space isn't an issue, so I'm going for lossless video/audio. I'm keeping it simple and using MakeMKV, and so far have had no issues.

Unfortunately, I came across some video that needs to be IVTC. MakeMKV doesn't give me that option. The only thing I've figured out is re-encoding with RipBot264, but unfortunately I'm getting a loss in quality. Note the two frame grab examples below:

Original MakeMKV rip:
    http://i44.tinypic.com/1r3n13.png

Re-Encode with IVTC applied:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/ilf1jd.png

(I know the time is a bit off on both frames but there's no ghosting in my re-encode of the video whereas it's constant in the initial MakeMKV rip)

Obviously the re-encode looks better but if you zoom in the quality is diminished. I'm trying to minimize compression here (preferably none). If I could rip it initially with the VOB file and use IVTC then put the end result in an MKV container I would do that, but I have no idea what would need to be done. I don't like re-encoding, I'd rather just do it once and lossless. Any suggestions?

I have a lot of programs set up like MeGUI but I can't figure out how to use it. I've done a lot of Googling, I've used tips I've read on this forum, but I'm at a loss.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Suggestions? Not for performing an IVTC without reencoding or even with lossless reencoding. Since you're usually keeping the source MPEG-2 video for the MKVs, you could easily reencode for MPEG-2 video with the IVTC, make a DVD from it, and then use MakeMKV on the result. Since by reencoding for progressive 23.976fps, the compression efficiency is much greater than the source, and the quality degradation should be minimal. You mentioned using RipBot. Does it allow for the IVTC while converting to H.264 video? I don't use it and am just asking. Theoretically you should be able to get pretty similar quality to your source and with a smaller size if converting to H.264.

What I don't understand is the rationale behind putting all of them into MKV when you're not saving any space by doing so. Why not just keep the DVD? Or, if you're trying to dump the menus, the extras, and maybe some subtitle and/or audio tracks, just reauthor it with DVDShrink?
    Last edited by manono; 5th Apr 2012 at 03:25.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm keeping the DVDs, I just want my files in lossless quality at my disposal. If I want to watch something on my computer, or keep it on a hard drive and watch it on TV.

I don't want them on a physical medium like a DVD, I just want digital copies of them with lossless quality. I can also watch MKV files through my Blu-ray player, if I so choose. It's more for convenience. I record my own commentaries for certain things and like having the option of including them in my container as a second audio.

What I've been doing is using MakeMKV to make .mkv video files. Then with the ones I've been having issues with, I've re-encoded the .mkv files with IVTC in RipBot264, which results in getting a new file.

My main concern is I don't want to re-encode. I want the original video source, apply IVTC, then put in an .mkv container. I just hate that the re-encode gives it a "smooth" effect -- the film artifacts disappear with a significant loss in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why not simply stick with the mkv from MakeMkv and IVTC during playback? Audio&Video have been just remuxed, so no loss there.

MeGUI One Click Encoder Introduction might help,..

Other than that you might want to do some deblocking and derining when reencoding the content.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Stick to using MakeMKV and use software player such as MPC/VLC to perform the deinterlacing during playback.
    Quote Quote