VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings all. New here, and I have done due diligence by searching the forums and have not found an answer yet.

I would like to add to my library of video codecs for capturing live camera feeds. Currently listed on my machine are: Full Frames /WMVideo8 Encoder DMO/ WMVideo9 Encoder DMO/ MSScreen 9 encoder DMO/ DV Video Encoder / MJPEG / Cinepak by Radius / Intel IYUV / Microsoft RLE / Microsoft Video 1 / and just installed Xvid MPEG-4 Codec.

Looking for a package that will give me more CODECs and control over the codec parameters.

Any help most appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can nobody help out here? Maybe I am using the wrong terminology. I installed a CODEC called Xvid MPEG-4 and it shows up in my capture utility. I tried installing the x264 CODEC. The install seemed to work, but it does not show up as a compressor I can use to capture with, jist like the Klite CODEC package I installed. There seems to be a difference here in that some of these CODECs are playback only. Is this correct?

Anyway, if anybody has input into this issue I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by channelk View Post
    Can nobody help out here? Maybe I am using the wrong terminology. I installed a CODEC called Xvid MPEG-4 and it shows up in my capture utility. I tried installing the x264 CODEC. The install seemed to work, but it does not show up as a compressor I can use to capture with, jist like the Klite CODEC package I installed. There seems to be a difference here in that some of these CODECs are playback only. Is this correct?

Anyway, if anybody has input into this issue I would really appreciate it.
    Easier to approach the issue by identifying the camera you are trying to capture or the type of live video feed.

Encoding on the fly is risky yet required for live upload to a server. Explain what you are trying to do.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the post. What I am trying to do - 1. Capture live video from three cameras at the same time for post production work. 2. Mix three cameras into one output for live streaming feed.

To accomplish this I am seeking a selection of codecs for live capture. Two of my cameras are Sony D-30. One is a Canon Gl2. All feeds into the computer are via firewire at the moment - one will be input from a Black Magic Intensity Pro card.

My thought process is to use a capture codec that is the same as final output. For instance, capture in X264 for output to youtube. I have had experience using different codecs and it can make a HUGE difference in the quality of the video capture.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. VirtualDub uses VFW codecs. To use x264 in VirtualDub you need to install x264VFW. Some useful lossless codecs are HuffYUV and Lagarith. For DV use Cecodica. If you install ffdshow you can use any of its dozens of internal codecs.

I don't know about the Sony D30 but the Canon GL2 puts out already compressed HDV. You don't need any codecs to transfer that from the camera to the computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by channelk View Post
    Thank you for the post. What I am trying to do - 1. Capture live video from three cameras at the same time for post production work. 2. Mix three cameras into one output for live streaming feed.

To accomplish this I am seeking a selection of codecs for live capture. Two of my cameras are Sony D-30. One is a Canon Gl2. All feeds into the computer are via firewire at the moment - one will be input from a Black Magic Intensity Pro card.

My thought process is to use a capture codec that is the same as final output. For instance, capture in X264 for output to youtube. I have had experience using different codecs and it can make a HUGE difference in the quality of the video capture.

Hope this helps.
    x264 is not a realtime codec. There are hardware h.264 codecs and DV switchers with built in hardware codecs.

You will find great difficulty getting your plan to work. Better to buy pre-engineered software that is up to the task.
    http://www.telestream.net/wire-cast/overview.htm
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote