VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a ATI 650 under Vista with no IR blaster port

and i also have a windows 7 pc , with no capture card in it

i would like to have the option of changing channels for scheduled recording viA program guide using WMC (PVR)

is it possible to install a 3rd party IR port to control my cable box
    (motorola dct2000) and converter box (Huawei dc750 , coaxial to channel 3 or 4) ) both have IR in

my ISP's technician says my remaining analog channel are going out this year and don't want to rent or buy their gear

what are my option ?

I also have a AIW 9800 under XP used for capturing but i would like to leave it that way , no working program guide provided by windows in it (unlike Vista , and i hope W7, the W7 isn't setup yet , so i don't know for now)

i currently use the 650 under vista via WMC's program guide and it's working well

i would prefer to buy into the used market to keep the cost low
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got Hauppauge's Microsoft certified remote kit: http://store.hauppauge.com/accessories2.asp?product=mce_remote The receiver/blaster has worked pretty well, but I eventually replaced the remote with one from Inteset because the buttons on the Hauppauge remote were too small and I wanted a backlit remote to watch TV in bed http://shop.inteset.com/xbox-4-in-1-programmable-back-lit-infrared-remote Inteset's USB receivers and CIR receivers and have no IR blaster capability, as far as I can tell.

Used receivers can be more expensive than new. If I had to buy something else on account of price, I'd probably look at these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-MCE-MEDIA-CENTER-Kit-w-REMOTE-CONTROL-USB-IR-RECEIVER-IR-Ex...item23278d4dd9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101007
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Dec 2013 at 15:57.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i don't really want the remote ..
    i just want to change the channels of my motorola's tuner via vista's WMC program guide and cap it with the 650 . via-s-video (or rca)

much like the 650 is doing by itself with analog channels that may not exist in a near futur

http://store.snapstream.com/usb-uirt.html

i guess it's something like this ... i think i would have to search for this or equivalent product in the used market

this particular product is marketed for beyond tv

but for WMC ... i'm kinda lost
    Last edited by smartel; 26th Dec 2013 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    i don't really want the remote ..
    i just want to change the channels of my motorola's tuner via vista's WMC program guide and cap it with the 650 . via-s-video (or rca)

much like the 650 is doing by itself with analog channels that may not exist in a near futur
    Most of the receivers sold without a remote don't include the IR blaster cable. With shipping figured in, buying the receiver and the IR blaster cable separately may cost more than a complete kit. ...but maybe you will be lucky and find what you want for less than the complete kit.

You need an RC6 (or MCE certified) IR receiver with IR blaster capability.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's why i kept my old receiver with 2 or 3 remotes

but my problem is that the 650 and the AIW 9800 don't have the IR port

i have to find a 3rd party gizmo for that ...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    that's why i kept my old receiver with 2 or 3 remotes

but my problem is that the 650 and the AIW 9800 don't have the IR port

i have to find a 3rd party gizmo for that ...
    All I can tell you is that I used the IR receiver/blaster from the Hauppauge remote kit mentioned in my first post with Windows 7's Media Center and a TV Wonder 650 to control a SD Motorola cable box (I think it was the DCT2000). There may be something else that can replace an IR blaster with Media Center, but the MCE remote receivers with a built-in IR blasters are easy to find and not terribly expensive, even if purchased as part of a kit.

The remote/receiver/blaster hardware requirements have not changed since Windows XP Media Center Edition. The Microsoft receivers and remotes first sold for use with Windows XP Media Center Edition still work for Vista's Media Center, Windows 7 Media Center, and Windows 8/8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center as an add-on.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Dec 2013 at 18:41.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well i'll look into that thx
    Quote Quote