VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need video footage of my kids put onto my computer so that I can edit it to make a family movie. One option last time around was to use a capture device between an old video camera and the computer which worked fine although time consuming. I've looked into having it transferred by a professional but I'm told I can't edit it once it is on DVD due to the format. If I get somebody to put it onto DVD, is there a way to use selected sections to make a movie by converting it or something? The tapes are only going to deteriorate with time too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you still have the original camcorder?

Video 8 can be played in a Video8, Hi8 or some Digital8 camcorders.

If I get somebody to put it onto DVD, is there a way to use selected sections to make a movie by converting it or something?
    Yes VOB2MPG.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Transferring video tape to digital is time consuming as it first must be done in real time. Then the result can be used in most any way that is desired. If someone else does the transfer, then of course your time is reduced, but someone has to spend the time to accomplish the task. Editing DVD content is possible and not that difficult if the proper tools are used. If the final outcome is DVD content, then very little has to be done with the files as far as converting to another format because they are already the right file format.
    Now the question - is it worth the cost to you for some bushiness to transfer the video tape to DVD so it can be used for the desired project?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's not so much the time that it takes me. It's more that the old video camera I have doesn't work, I then bought another old video camera which doesn't work either and they are really hard to come by. I keep getting mixed information as to whether if a business puts the footage onto DVD whether I will then be able to convert it or even use it due to the format it would be saved in. I've been quoted from the Video 8 cassette to DVD $18/disc and I have about 12 cassettes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks edDV. I checked out the link you gave. I will probably need audio too and VOB2MPG won't do that apparently. I ultimately want to use Movie Maker 2.6 (old version) and I think it uses AVI
    Quote Quote  
  6. VOB2MPG handles the audio along with the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lorraine59 View Post
    I keep getting mixed information as to whether if a business puts the footage onto DVD whether I will then be able to convert it or even use it due to the format it would be saved in. I've been quoted from the Video 8 cassette to DVD $18/disc and I have about 12 cassettes.
    It is common for companies that shoot video on contract (e.g. wedding videographers) to add copy protection to their DVDs so that the client is required to pay for additional copies. Businesses that dub home videos usually don't do this but be sure the DVD will be copy protection free when you place the order. Get it in writing.

I'd also try to get these transferred at one hr/DVD bit rates for highest quality. I would not expect to pay more for two 1Hr DVD vs one 2Hr DVD other than a small media charge but this needs to be negotiated.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you so much for the advice which I'm going to put to good use!
    Quote Quote