VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys

Im not even sure if there is an answer to this but here goes! I am trying to edit out skin blemishes from a video, after using a few programmes I have found photoshop to be the best. I am pretty patient so I don't mind editing frame-by-frame, the only problem I find is that the end result is sligtly flickery because each frame isn't edited exactly the same.
    Does anybody know a way to repeat the process on each frame without hand editing each individually? Or perhaps an effective way that wont be as obvious in the end result?
    The only 'cheat' I can think of is to add a grainy/flickery effect to the whole video in hope of hiding it, but that's really something I would rather not do.

I hope I've made sense Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem might not be the program you use but the video itself.

If that is compressed in any way, the next frame might not give all the detail of the last one. You might have to work with uncompressed video for true results.

BTW what programs have you tried ? A dedicated rotoscope program should be used.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The video is surprisingly crystal and has remained so editing frame by frame, but it's very difficult to edit each frame exactly the same. If the programme could apply the same settings for several frames it would be helpful. Allowing me to tweek slightly when neccessary. This is my first time editing videos - I'm a dab hand with photos which is why I found photoshop easier, also tried gimp which was similar but not as clear. I have After Effects on my computer which I have never used, but after finally discovering it I've been told that the trial has ran out .... but I didn't even use you! ha. I heard that is a good one to use though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you read db83's post, or did you just not get that a compressed video is not merely a succession of pictures?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Apply a temporal filter after editing frame by frame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could put duplicate copies of the video on 2 track layers. One on top of the other. Blur one to smooth out the blemishes as desired. Then create a track mask to show only the smoothed out blemishes on the otherwise clear video. You can then animate the track mask to follow the blemishes.

You can do this with pretty much any NLE. If you don't have one, you can do it with Aviutl.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. You're getting flickering because your cleanup is literally changing with every frame.

You need to create one basic cleanup on a separate layer and apply that to every frame (copy/paste) with minor motion and shape modifications as needed. Make sure your correction layer is soft-edged. This is easier to do in After Effects because your correction layer covers the entire duration, but the same principle applies in Photoshop (or aviutil, or any other program you choose.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the blemish is not moving around too much, you can open it up in AviUtl and use mtDeSub (with a very low thresU value and preblur=1)
    mtDeSub was designed for subtitle removal initially, but it can also remove any closed shape.

If the blemish moves around quite a bit, try some denoise filters first. If not working well, consider the suggestions by racer-x and smrpix (using a correction mask/object/layer that moves around)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!