+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heyy guys hello! I'm a total newb when its about DVD5 or DVD conversion
    So I'll get directly to the point .. no beating around the bush
    I have 5 movies in 700MB format ...
    And all are Xvid encoded..
    So how do I make them fit into one DVD5 ???
    Or even like 10 700MB movies into a DVD9 ..
    Now you might say "Which generation does this guy live in to play with DVD5s and 700mb movies !" Well this DVD is for my grandma who has a PAL tv and a DVD player... And I didn't find a better print of the movies she asked for
    PS: I'm on Ubuntu . . I'm fine with any software .. open source/ paid
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the dvd player supports avi xvid/divx on dvdrs? Then burn as a data disc.

If not must you reconvert to dvd-video. Adjust the bitrate so it fits, bitrate *running time = output file size. I think avstodvd or convertxtodvd might be able to let you choose exact bitrate/output file size. BUT it will NOT look good with so low bitrate for dvd/mpeg2 compared to the xvid. Just burn 2-3 movies/dvd instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could also try Freemake Video Converter.

It lets you squeeze 20 hours of video onto a DVD5.
    3 hours of video on a DVD5 can look like pants, so anything over that will be even worse.

Unique! Burn DVD - up to 40 hours!

Unlike other software, our free video converter doesn't have a two-hour limit and can burn DVD video up to 20h to a Standard DVD or 40h to DVD-DL.
    http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
    http://www.freemake.com/offline/offline_all/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for the prompt replies!
    @Baldrick ... I had tried burning those avi files onto the DVD but that didn't work out... I thought those videos which seemed watchable on my PC would be playing same on DVD .. But seems that a DVD format would need a higher bitrate to keep the quality!
    @mike20021969 LOL it must be true that more than 3 Hrs of video on a DVD5 would be crappy to watch
    So I'll try to convert each of the avi file to a DVD and burn it on individual DVD5s
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    **Update
    Guys so I'm converting each of the avis to DVD using ConvertXtoDVD on windows platform... but looks like the FPS that I'm getting while conversion is very low and keeps on dropping gradually ,, my processor is a core i3 ..the CPU utilization also decreases from 80% to 30% in 15mis. this happens even on a normal conversion
    On the other hand .. I get nice +130 FPS on Ubuntu on Handbrake or AVIdemux while converting anything with a 640x352 res and the CPU utilization keeps showing a decent 90% !
    Quote Quote