VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    'm trying to replace my broken Avayon dvd player with a better brand. The avayon's laser broke after 3 months, and everytime i put a dvd in it just says loading, so annoying.

Anyways, so I bought 2 Philips (5982 and 5140) it works great but the subtitles from a fansubbed avi (srt format) will get cut off. Not all of them, but those longer ones.... this didn't happen with the avayon or on laptop. I also noticed that they change the fonts of the subtitles on Philips (not a problem but cutting off is a HUGE problem for me).

I don't want to have to re-encode anything since I have the avi and srt file all ready to just be burnt onto a DVD to watch on a stand alone dvd player.

Any cheap machines that will work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/na4/d/dvp5982_37/dvp5982_37_dfu_aen.pdf

page 49

Setting the DivX subtitle font
    You can set the font type that supports
    the recorded DivX subtitle.

(1) In 'Preference Page', press ^v to select
    {DivX Subtitle },then press >.

{Standard }
    Display a standard list of Roman subtitle
    fonts provided by this unit.
    (2) Press OK to confirm.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried that, doens't work. The only option i have under subtitle is to select a language. Thanks though
    Quote Quote  
  4. Maybe you could run it through subtitle workshop & reset the subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you zooming the image? Subtitles are often aligned to the full image. If you zoom in, or don't display the correct format (like outputing a 16:9 from the player into a 4:3 TV), the L/R sides get cropped.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What resolution are these Divx files? You can use Gspot to find out. I've seen a Philips DVD player cut off subs in full frame PAL video because the subs were positioned too low in the original PAL video. If your video has a PAL type resolution (ie. something x 576), that could be the problem. Similar issues may show up on other DVD players that support PAL. I ended up having to watch the video in question on a PC because it was the only way I could see all the subs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    What resolution are these Divx files? You can use Gspot to find out. I've seen a Philips DVD player cut off subs in full frame PAL video because the subs were positioned too low in the original PAL video. If your video has a PAL type resolution (ie. something x 576), that could be the problem. Similar issues may show up on other DVD players that support PAL. I ended up having to watch the video in question on a PC because it was the only way I could see all the subs.
    Resolution is 704x396 divx6... I tried it on my other avayon and it works fine. Shows all the subtitle. I would've bought another one but their quality control is bad. The first one i got broke after a few months (would kept saying loading), the other one's front LCD came broken.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fayewolf

Resolution is 704x396 divx6... I tried it on my other avayon and it works fine. Shows all the subtitle. I would've bought another one but their quality control is bad. The first one i got broke after a few months (would kept saying loading), the other one's front LCD came broken.
    That resolution should definitely not be a problem. This is not a PAL video issue like I talked about. I'm not a big expert on subtitles, but if the SRT file has any settings you can edit that give the location on the screen of the subtitles, you can try playing with that until you get something that works OK.
    Quote Quote