VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the video I have:
    H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
    1280x720

I would like to convert it to a standard size DVD. I am looking for a software that will convert this is a reasonable amount of time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe ConvertXtoDVD is what you are looking for. DVDFlick is another possibility.

If you run programs at night while you sleep, you shouldn't care how long it takes. Why do so many people seem to not know this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD if you want to do it for free
    ConvertXtoDVD is you are happy to pay

ConvertXtoDVD will be faster, AVStoDVD will take longer, but arguably uses a better encoder and will give you better results.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but does this reduce the 1280x720 quality??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ah76
    but does this reduce the 1280x720 quality??
    The resolution goes from 1280x720 to 720x480, so the picture will not be as sharp as the original is. In that way: yes, the quality decreases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video has to be converted to DVD compliance, and 1280 x 720 is not DVD compliant.

If you have a PS3 or bluray player that supports AVCHD then you could author an AVCHD disc, which will retain the original resolution and quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. guns1inger Al last I see somebody that knows about this, everything you wrote is as it is, by now I'm so happy that I read guns1inger article about convertxtodvd and AVStoDVD as he says avstodvd it takes much time to procces an mp4 to dvd but the result is better, a movie with low light was convert it with more light, fantastic.

Now I only use CONVERTXTODVD to add subtitle to a dvd and it does it very fast, I recomend to change the size from 4,300 to 4,550 because when is in 4,300 the final folder ends with 4.06gb instead of 4.36gb

avstodvd I have not been able to add subtitle to a dvd files, only to mp4

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are the steps involved in converting an h.264 Mp4 or MKV to AVCHD? I have looked at both Convertxtodvd and AVStoDVD and I can't see how I can convert to AVCHD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Those two programs are for creating DVD-Video discs. For AVCHD, you might try MultiAVCHD.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi guys, first I rip Ip Man 2 dvd movie to the hard drive with my personal prefered dvdfab 2.9.6.8 then I used Clonedvd 2.9.2.7 to remove chinese audio, trailers and menus and create an ISO, later double click the ISO and virtual clone drive convert ISO to video folder VTS and then I use ConvertXtodvd 4.1.18.363 to load the files and ADD the spanish subtitle SRT using this parameters:

encoding options = SP it says up to 80 min but LP create a 2.1gb file instead of 4.07gb(SP)
    target size change it fron 4300 to 4600 to rise that 4.07 to 4.36gb and avoid minimum compression
    convertion priority = highest

all other settings at their default

and then later I take that video folder with clonedvd to produce final ISO.

The result is the same quality of the original dvd with the added subtitle, awsome, the ISO I right click and open with NERO BURNING ROOM and thas it.

The final dvd only freezes in my old Pioneer DV-414 which I use to monitoring dvd's if he plays it everybody plays it, in a Samsung that I also have it doesn't freeze.

Thanks guns1inger
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have two major issues to start with.

1. The 414 is a very old model, so it cannot be considered a reliable test any more for burned DVDs. The laser is old and tired, and given the nature of burned DVDs, it is going to struggle to get a consistent read. If you are using quality media then it is a high probability that it is the player and not the disc that is at fault. Also, don't burn with the built in VSO burning engine - always use imgburn. I think your player is simply dying. I had a 414 which served me well for many years, but they do not last forever.

2. Your process sucks. Rip the disc as main movie only without the subs and audio that you don't want or need. DVD Fab can do this for you. Skip all the ISO/Virtual Drive bullshit, as it is a waste of time. Follow this guide by Baldrick to add your new subs to the existing disc structure. If, at this point, the results are too big to burn to a SL disc, use DVD Rebuilder to re-encode them to a suitable size, and burn the results with Imgburn. Simpler, more reliable, and will give you much better results.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You are right Pioneer DV-414 is the only one that freezes, I put it into a Sony blue ray 300 and works fine
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 1 hour 45minute video in H.264 format, I need to edit it down- cut out some ads etc using VideoRedo Plus, but given its in H.264 format I can't use VideoRedo Plus. Is there any way or suggestion on what is the best way to convert to MPG DVD -like 1080 format?
    All the other videos I have in this series I edited using VideoRedo Plus - so they are MPEG, but this one I had to download (forgot to record it to PVR) - the only version I could find (to download) was in H.264. I am quite happy viewing MPEG quality & I'm not buying the Video-Redo TV Suite H.264 just to edit one video.....

Many thanks for any reply

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    ^You can try VideotoVideo, which has a commercial removing tool.

Or use the free trial for VideRedo TV Suite. It is fully functional, with only the 30 day time limit.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you are 100% sure that you will never again in your life need to edit H.264, VideoReDo TV Suite more than pays for itself. I bought it years ago and it's a godsend. My video capture card only records H.264 video and I'd be screwed or have to pay even more money for crap I don't want like Vegas if I didn't have VideoReDo TV Suite to edit my captures.

As far as the "best" way to convert to DVD goes, depends on how YOU define the word "best". Most people who use that word really mean "fastest". "Fastest" can mean "lower quality". The true best quality way to do it is to learn how to write AviSynth scripts and write scripts to deal with your files and feed the scripts into HCenc (it's free) to encode to MPEG-2 for DVD. But as a newbie I'm guessing that you're probably not going to do this much and may not want to go to that kind of trouble so you can use DVDFlick or ConvertXToDVD. VideoReDo TV Suite actually can convert your video for you, but few use it for that and while it would be fairly easy to go that route, I doubt that offers you the best possible quality.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Kerry56

thank you - video-to-video has worked really well - very happy with it...... still learning as I go of course
    Quote Quote