VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I read lots of times on the internet that it is possible to activate the analog and digital input funktion on many Digital 8 Cameras. I have the DCR-TRV325E and I would like to use it to digitize other analog material to DV.

Could you tell me how that is done, without using a service to send it to? Is it easy? Or is it risky?
    Last edited by jouse.; 28th Feb 2013 at 19:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Get the manual:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3065263321.pdf

Page 100, recording analog video to DV tape.

Page 98, convert analog to digital and send to a PC or DVD recorder, a.k.a. DV pass through.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but that part of the manual concerns not my camera-model, but only the 330. :/ Found this also yesterday...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I thought that the passthru option was removed from most PAL models?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is, only some of the higher end European spec camcorders will do passthrough. You used to be able to buy a plug in unit that enabled it although whether you still can or not I've no idea (I've got one for an old DCR-TR8000E). I'll see if I can find the box and check if the company that made it still does them (or even exists).

The reason why it is disabled is because the import duty on a video recorder is higher than on a camcorder. A camcorder with analogue in (whether as passthrough or to record to tape) would be classed as a video recorder. Higher duty payable means a higher retail price so, as so few owners are ever likely to use the capability, it is disabled.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just checked. The unit was called a DV-in Widget made by a company called datavision. Although their website still exists (www.datavision.co.uk) there is no mention of the widgets any more. I have a feeling that they were taken to court, or at least threatened with it, as the use of their product was effectively allowing people to evade import duty.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you search around you'll find references to programs/cables that could enable dvin/passthrough for e models. you're not likely to find anyone still selling it other than on ebay maybe.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed this old question. Allow me to add some things here.
    1) still you can enable older cams. build to 2002
    2) mostly used is windows 95 system ( thru the printer port).
    3) it is also still for sale ( i have mine for many years )
    4)The best people for advice are NOT in the UK, but in France ( at least for this issue...lol)

For lanc there are 2 types available: no 14 and number 16
    and i also found a supplier who produced a combi lanc ) same type)

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1464/

http://www.fcosinus.com/dvin/ ( is the best site for this)
    Regardless what they all tell you: It is still available and if you take time ( 15 minutes) and sit quetly behind the pc with the correct settings, it works like a charm.
    Dont forget there are now also new anologe bullit cams available with more TV lines, widescreen. NO CODEC shit !!
    If you need more info, you can email me
    Cheers
    Quote Quote