VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys does anyone knows is it good to put analog 10 freq equalizer ( marantz eq10 golden series ) and why in chain after my tape recorder. I'm trying to record some cassettes to pc with best quality i hope that processing trough eq will sharp some dull tapes that I have before going to digital or is it just better to record "original" sound from tape recorder in to pc ( i have audigy 2 zs sound card )
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since your source is audiocassette, it would be more ideal to get the best sound you can BEFORE digitizing it. But if your Marantz is getting old and starts producing crackles and pops when you operate the sliders, then you'd best opt for software EQ. It all depends on whether your EQ is working well enough not to introduce new noise in the chain.

Make tests both ways on a short segment of tape (say, 2 minutes). Use your Marantz in one test, and use a software EQ in another. See which results you like best.

Frankly, if I had a good working analog EQ, and my source was analog, I'd digitize with the best possible sound right from the start.

P.S. - Monitor everything with a good set of headphones.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Personally, I'd probably do it the other way around and just record the audio "as is". Once it's done you have an "original master" to which you can then apply digital EQ and noise reduction etc. It leaves you free to experiment a little more as you can do it while leaving the master copy unaltered, and you can continue to use it as a "reference" while you make changes. Being terminally undecisive, I know I'd record something with an analogue EQ applied and then come back a few days later to think I should have done something differently.

Mind you that's just me. There's no right way or wrong way, just the way which gives you the result you're most happy with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Me, I stick with analog. I use a Pioneer SG-9 to EQ my music and sometimes, I use my Pioneer DJM-400. It has a 3 band EQ that sounds better than EQs I have used with more bands. Cassettes are tough to get clean due to the noise and hiss, of course. A very good player is needed.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks guys i tried it and trough analog eq really sounds reacher and has better bass and i dint notice any more noise so i will try with that
    Quote Quote